1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is ordering an R4 considered Illegal in the US? +some more questions...

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by 404errord, Oct 9, 2007.

1. 404errord

404errord Member

1. How many of you in the US had an R4 imported to you?

2. Are backup devices such as the R4 illegal? You see, I don't think they would be because you can store other things besides backed up games. In a sense, you're ordering a bit of a mod to turn your DS into an Ipod, which gets no legal shit over having the purpose of playing MP3's legally obtained or not. Do these rules apply to the R4 and keep those who ordered them out of danger?

3. With a lot of FBI Raids and Modchip-type stores being shut down and raided, I was wondering... Okay, I know people who either had orders in process with said stores had their money basically stolen and the product would never come-- but can the people raiding this Modchip store get into their sales history and go arrest people at their shipping addresses for ordering a Modchip on suspicion they would be pirating games?

4. I ordered from Dealextreme.com, and I know my R4 is going to be coming to America through customs checks-- am I going to get shit for this? Or, again, is it just like ordering an Ipod, and they *can't* get into the legality of MP3 obtaining methods with you?

5. For five, I basically want to know #1-4 and how it would apply to importing a modded console from another store, or just buying a modchip. Would I be automatically placed under the FBI's radar for ordering this? Can they keep track of these things? Just how much privacy do I have in what I buy with my credit cards?

Thank you for your time.

2. snorlax22

snorlax22 Regular member

Cars are not illegal. It's a transportation device. In fact they can be very useful.

Speeding or running over someone with a car is illegal. And for good reason.

Ownership of an R4 is not illegal. It's a storage device. Using an R4 to put some music you own onto a DS can be very useful. Especially if you are driving for 2 hours (see useful car) and have an 8 year old boy in the back seat.

Pirating software or stealing intellectual property using an R4 is illegal. And for good reason.

I would assume in this day and age the FBI can keep track of anything they want to keep track of. I wouldn't worry about it- it's not like you can do anything about it anyway.

3. dragnandy

dragnandy Regular member

i guess you can think of it as simply buying a micro-sd adapter. or buying a flash drive. its not illegal to have them. just depends on how you use it i guess. im not really sure about the rules and laws about it, its just how i see it.