1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this for real

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by cac, Feb 26, 2004.

1. cac

cac Regular member

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2988328349&category=1467

This is a link for a ebay product. It claims to make a 20 in tv onto a 200 inch tv for 10 bucks. you get a 8x lens then it says to go to home depot and buy soem things abnout 10 - 15 dollers worth of supplies. What i want to know is this for real? Im big into movies and i want 200 " eith er i get this or projectors but there really expensive so :( But if you know any good ones for cheap but are good let me know :)
    ty
    cac

2. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Have you ever seen Brazil? in this film, a small screen is magnified to 20inches. As when the film was made, they thought the future would be in magnification.
    So to partially answer your question this is possible. However their claim is very weak. I am work on Microscopy and imaging as part of my current PhD. And this is possible but you need
    1. A really bright image source. You will hear and read on threads that very bright projects are a must, the bulb intenisty for good projectors is in the 2000 plus output. A normal TV has very very weak light output. So what will result is a very dim magnified image. So you will need the lights off, or you will need a DLP TV that has more light output then standard tv's.
    2. the original source needs to be high definition, because like in computers, when you zoom in you will see pixelation. This is not the same with TV's as the wavelenght of light will allow for magnification with out pixelation, BUT the tv equivalent is blurryness. A magnified image of low res, will look smuggy and not sharp.

So for this to work you will need a freaking bright tv, and one with high reslotion ie, XGA or SVGA, VGA the stander tv's will not cut it.

3. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

I have one of these systems and they are very poor quality, in my opinion. Ever seen the magnifying lens a bus driver uses as a mirror on the back window. Its called a Fesnel Lens, also used in light houses. Basically, you will get a fesnel lens, which is a piece of plastic and instructions on how to make a box to attach the lens to. Then you build it and the brightness of your monitor/tv projects it onto the wall, though generally, the image is in reverse so is pretty useless for some things.

4. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

It has to be back words. Thats so you build a huge set up with the tv and lens all in the dark. The you need it to be back projection so you but a thin white sheet and view from the front. If it wasn't backwords then you would be projecting on a wall and the light in the room would destroy the entire image. As I said you need a very bright image source. How large did you project it to Oriphus? The one limitation I forgot is you need atleast 10feet of space to have the original TV, lens, black area and finally screen.

5. PunkEmo18

PunkEmo18 Member

when i was younger i found a book magnafine thingy, I placed it up to my tve and saw that it was on my wall upside down though. After buying a cheap tv i would put the tv upside down and some how keep the magnafine glass infront of the tv and watch movies like i was in a theater, I think the quilisty is actually fine. everything is backwards though. You just need to shut all curtains and lights off. Try it out if you dont like you know you didnt waste to much money!! make a home made one its cost a buck!

6. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

You don`t need to turn it upside down, either use two magnifing things, or there will be a distance where the image will filp. This depends on lens you are using put it will flip.

7. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

I only projected it to about 50 inches. Then stood on it and bought a Sony VPLCX5. Then sold it and i have a Panasonic PTAE500 on its way to me on thursday.

8. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

THe Panasonic is very nice, I amazed that you can get 1300:1 with a LCD projector. This has about all, the lumens are low. Not too bad if you draw the curtains. Let me know how it performs in a sunlight lite room. The bigest problem I have seen with low light throwing is sunlight, 1500 to 2000 seemed an almost must. I am curious how this will look for you in the light.

9. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Actualy 1500-2000 is far to much for home cinema and can make colours look drained. For a DLP projector 850 Lumens would be low, but for an LCD is great. You do need to have a darkened room though not totally. Typically for a dark room - 850-1000 is the best. The contrast ration is great on thsi model. Its hard to get LCD with such contrast ration. Had a look at the Displays (projectors / TV's section)?

10. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Nice new section, Look at my blurb on SED. I think these systems will be in some good competion with LED.