1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ISO not burning correctly?

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by LR23, May 22, 2011.

1. LR23

LR23 Member

((I posted this in the wrong forum earlier today, sorry!))

Hey, folks,

Thanks for your help in advance; I tried searching through various posts to see if anyone had encountered a problem like mine, but I wasn't able to find anything.

I've used DVDShrink to create ISOs of some DVDs I have. That part of the process was fairly simple after using a guide I found on the internet. When I mount the ISO image using Daemon tools, it works exactly as if I had inserted a DVD into the actual optical drive.

So, feeling like I'm a 99th level haxxor god, I presume that I can just burn the ISO onto a DVD. To do this, I try using Brasero, but it doesn't work. If I try to play it like a DVD, it simply goes to a black screen and doesn't play (even though Windows automatically tries to play the file as if it were a DVD). When I open the DVD through My Computer, I see two folders: "AUDIO_TS" and "VIDEO_TS."

What's annoying is that the actual video/movie can be found as a VOB file in the "VIDEO_TS" folder.

Figuring that this was some weird fluke with Brasero, I tried downloading K3b in order to burn the ISO to a DVD. No luck; the exact same thing happened.

Anyone have an idea of what is going on? It looks like other folks on the forum have taken a VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS file and used Imgburn (or something?) to create DVDs, but I was hoping to just be able to burn the ISO and keep the original DVD menu structure, etc.

Again, thanks for your help! :) Sorry if this is a totally dumb question.

2. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

k3b is a linux burning engine.. and by the other crap you are using you run windoze.. anyway.. how a linux user burns a dvd.. just burn the video_ts and audio_ts directories to the root of the dvd blank as a data disk.. simple as that.

daemon tools is a bit of a pain of a thing.. it does seem to conflict with a hell of a lot of hardware/os /other burning applications in many cases.

3. LR23

LR23 Member

Thanks for the reply!

Sorry, I should have clarified: I used DVDshrink on a laptop with Windows 7, and then transferred the ISO to an older laptop that uses Ubuntu, where I then attempted to burn the ISO to a DVD.

I'll try burning the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS files in Ubuntu as a data disk and see if that works. If I'm following you correctly, that should allow me to play the DVD on a regular DVD player?

4. LR23

LR23 Member

Sorry for the double post, butttt....

I copied the BUP, IFO, and VOB files (28 in total) from VIDEO_TS to a K3b DVD video project. All is going swell, hit the burn button, get an error saying "The project does not contain all necessary Video DVD files. The resulting DVD will most likely not be playable on a Hifi DVD player."

Alright, I think, I'll try to compare the files I have in the ISO that seems to work as a DVD with the files I have in VIDEO_TS. To my dismay, they are exactly the same. :( In other words, it doesn't appear that I'm missing any files at all!

So I was contemplating burning another data DVD with just the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders onto it, but then I realized that I'll just have the exact same DVD that I had when I tried to burn an ISO. :(

I don't get what I'm doing wrong...

5. Berryone

Berryone Regular member

Burn Your ISO that You Created In Shrink With IMGBURN

6. LR23

LR23 Member

Okay...tried that, got a "Power area calibration error."

7. Berryone

Berryone Regular member

If you receive a "Power calibration error" error message the cause will be either poor media, poor power, or a defective recorder

How Old is Your Computer?
    Is Burner Firmware Up-to-Date?
    How Much Ram Do You Have?

8. LR23

LR23 Member

Thanks for replying, Berryone,

How Old is Your Computer?

About a year and a half old. It's a Sony Vaio, VGN-SR520G.

Is Burner Firmware Up-to-Date?

The burner is a Matshita DVD-RAM UJ892AS (I think that's what it is). I tried clicking on "Update Driver," but Windows said it's already updated.

How Much Ram Do You Have?

In the computer? 4 GB RAM, it says.

I encountered this error with another brand of DVDR, so I grabbed another set of discs and had the same issue. :/ This is odd, since I've been able to burn CDs with absolutely no issues.

9. Berryone

Berryone Regular member

Open Imgburn > Tools > > Drive > Check for Firmware Update
    (That Will Tell You If There are Any Firmware Updates For Your DVD Burner)

Insert a Blank DVD into the Burner. In The Large Info Boc at THe Right Find
    Disc ID:

CMC MAG = Poor Quality Disc

Try and Get Some Verbatim Disc ID: MCC

See If they Correct your Problem

Also Try Running a Laser Cleaning Disc In Your Burner

Disc "Brands" Don'T Really Matter (Except Verbs and TYs)
    Do Not Multi-Task or Surf the Net When Ripping and Burning
    Burn at 1/2 The Rated Speed of the Blank Disc.

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  10. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

Did I miss a memo? I don't see anywhere if he mentions DVD-R or DVD+R and that alone can knock out a third of any burn and play problems as +R's are so often incompatible.
    Start with the basics before you get too deep with failed burns, it's usually something simple. I own a $900 Philips DVD Recorder that won't handle DVD+R's. Before you pull the engine block, see if the tank has any gas my friends.

11. LR23

LR23 Member

Hey, Wyattspop,

It's a DVD-R, Memorex is the brand. Before these, I tried HP DVD+Rs. :(

Maybe the media are too cheap? The DVD-Rs work in my other laptop, however, which is strange (even though they aren't burning the ISO properly...).

12. LR23

LR23 Member

Oh, and Berryone:

1) Tried looking for firmware update, but my burner was listed online!

2) Disc ID: 0@P-!-00

No idea what that means.

3) I'll try and grab some Verbatim DVDRs, then. :( Anyway, this is the full error I'm getting when I try and burn:
    Code:
    I 14:25:43 Operation Started!
    I 14:25:43 Source File: C:\Users\Bryson\Desktop\A_NEW_HOPE.ISO
    I 14:25:43 Source File Sectors: 2,285,882 (MODE1/2048)
    I 14:25:43 Source File Size: 4,681,486,336 bytes
    I 14:25:43 Source File Volume Identifier: A_NEW_HOPE
    I 14:25:43 Source File Volume Set Identifier: 0425C392DVDSHRNK
    I 14:25:43 Source File Implementation Identifier: DVD Shrink
    I 14:25:43 Source File File System(s): ISO9660, UDF (1.02)
    I 14:25:43 Destination Device: [0:1:0] MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ892AS 1.00 (F:) (ATAPI)
    I 14:25:43 Destination Media Type: DVD-R (Disc ID: MBI 01RG40) (Speeds: 2x, 4x, 6x, 8x)
    I 14:25:43 Destination Media Sectors: 2,297,888
    I 14:25:43 Write Mode: DVD
    I 14:25:43 Write Type: DAO
    I 14:25:43 Write Speed: 2x
    I 14:25:43 Link Size: Auto
    I 14:25:43 Lock Volume: Yes
    I 14:25:43 Test Mode: No
    I 14:25:43 OPC: No
    I 14:25:43 BURN-Proof: Enabled
    I 14:25:43 Write Speed Successfully Set! - Effective: 2,770 KB/s (2x)
    I 14:25:46 Filling Buffer... (40 MB)
    I 14:25:46 Writing LeadIn...
    W 14:25:56 Failed to Write Sectors 0 - 31 - Reason: Power Calibration Area Error
    W 14:25:56 Retrying (1 of 20)...
    W 14:25:56 Retry Failed - Reason: Power Calibration Area Error
    W 14:25:56 Retrying (2 of 20)...
    W 14:25:56 Retrying (3 of 20)...
    W 14:25:56 Retrying (4 of 20)...
    W 14:25:56 Retrying (5 of 20)...
    W 14:25:56 Retrying (6 of 20)...
    W 14:25:56 Retrying (7 of 20)...
    W 14:25:56 Retrying (8 of 20)...
    W 14:25:56 Retrying (9 of 20)...
    W 14:25:56 Retrying (10 of 20)...
    W 14:25:57 Retrying (11 of 20)...
    W 14:25:57 Retry Failed - Reason: Power Calibration Area Error
    W 14:25:57 Retrying (12 of 20)...
    W 14:25:57 Retrying (13 of 20)...
    W 14:25:57 Retrying (14 of 20)...
    W 14:25:57 Retrying (15 of 20)...
    W 14:25:57 Retrying (16 of 20)...
    W 14:25:57 Retrying (17 of 20)...
    W 14:25:57 Retrying (18 of 20)...
    W 14:25:57 Retrying (19 of 20)...
    W 14:25:57 Retrying (20 of 20)...
    E 14:25:58 Failed to Write Sectors 0 - 31 - Reason: Power Calibration Area Error
    I 14:25:58 Synchronising Cache...
    W 14:26:02 User opted to skip the 'Close Track/Session/Disc' functions.
    E 14:26:02 Failed to Write Image!
    E 14:26:02 Operation Failed! - Duration: 00:00:18
    I 14:26:02 Average Write Rate: N/A - Maximum Write Rate: N/A

Frustrating.

I'm essentially facing two problems, here:

1) My Windows laptop won't burn DVD-Rs, or DVD+Rs, apparently, because I got the Power Calibration Area Errors with both, using IMGburn, DVD Decrypter, and Roxio.

2) My Ubuntu laptop burns DVD-Rs fine. But when I try to burn an ISO, it doesn't seem to work properly...

I'm going to try, and you may find this hilarious, to do some of this on my mom's Mac. I will literally LOL if it works on the Mac and not Windows and Linux.

13. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

I appreciate it, but I'm a veteran burner, my issue is with extracting rar files to make an ISO, no matter what I do, all I get is larger numbers of smaller rar files, it never becomes an ISO disc image
    I burn only with Verbatim DVD-R, no one uses + in the ripping and burning community, always compatibility issues with certain players as well as proggies that aren't + friendly. Thanks for trying to help me.

14. LR23

LR23 Member

Well, worked on the Mac! :) Crazy.

So in summary:

1) Used DVDShrink with Windows 7 to rip DVDs that I own. Created beautiful ISOs.

2) Tried to burn ISOs to DVD-Rs and DVD+Rs on Windows 7 laptop, got Power Calibration Area error every single time. Cheap DVD-Rs? Possibly. Bad burner? Possibly, but the burner works well with CDs, and the laptop is fairly new, so I'm not convinced this is the answer.

3) Tried to burn ISOs with Ubuntu laptop. Disks burn, but instead of having a working DVD, I have a DVD with just the DVD structure (AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS). No idea what is going on here...the mysteries of Linux will likely remain that way for me.

4) In desperation, tried to burn ISOs with Mac. Worked flawlessly. Go figure.

So, I guess I'm kind of annoyed I couldn't figure out the problem, but at least now I'll be able to do what I intended. If anyone out there has the same problem I did, good luck!

15. Vato

Vato Regular member

Why are you hijacking this post... We already know about you "RAR" issues and have given you many steps and advice on how to fix it... if you can't figure it out then we are out of options.... This has nothing to do with this guys problems so please don't hijack this post.
    On to the problem of burning.... In my experience, I have come to the conclution that having too many burning programs install tend to screw things inside your computer, as they tend to overwrite each other and burning preferences and all that crap and it just jumbles and screws things. If you want to copy dvds then just either use DVDshrink or DVDFAB and also have Nero installed for any other burning you want to do. This is the only 2 you will need really to do just about anything.
    I have found these 2 to be stable and have no problems. As for media... I found Sony, ritek and memorex to be the most stable and good brands to burn onto and that most DVD burners accept without any problems (and trust me I have gone through many DVD burners and media). Also as last resort if this keeps happening, re-install the OS and do a clean install on the programs and try not to install anymore crappy programs. Or you could just uninstall all the burning programs, reboot and just install the ones I said. Should fix your problems ^ ^

16. LR23

LR23 Member

hey, Vato! Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try uninstalling everything save DVDShrink tomorrow and see if that works. I don't know if it'll work, because on the Windows laptop, I originally just had DVDShrink and Roxio installed in the first place...maybe I should just get rid of roxio altogether.

But, since I have it working on the Mac, I'll probably just be hustling back and forth for now. I've got a ton of DVDs to back up! :)

17. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

Hijacking the post? What are you talking about? The first response to his inquiry came from ps355528, followed by Berryone and myself 90 minutes later, both are senior members, neither took exception to my input so you're the one late to the party a day later, don't worry about my posts to help another, just go about your own business. What, because I'm having difficulty with rar files means I don't know how to rip and burn DVD's? Come see the 1,200 discs in my home theater. You're the one who so abruptly told me because I'm skilled at one thing doesn't mean I'd be smart enough to handle another. Now that conveniently doesn't apply? If I can't decipher ISO's I couldn't possibly know how to rip and burn a DVD movie? Yeah, that makes alot of sense! Tell you what, I'll work on my ISO issues and you work on your ill-mannered temper and sticking your nose in other people's affairs. I'll meet you back here tomorrow, bet if I can rip and burn a DVD and rebuild the navigation systems of an Air Force jet fighter, I can whip this, and you'll still be a sullen, morose busybody. We're done here.

18. Berryone

Berryone Regular member

Calm Down People.

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  19. Berryone

Berryone Regular member

@LR23
    I'm Glad You Got It Done

I Would Uninstall ROXIO
    and NERO Is a GIG HOG

I Would Keep SHRINK and Imgburn
    Download DVDFAB and Use It To Decrypt and Rip your DVDs
    Also If You Rip MOVIE ONLY It Would Improve The Quality Of The Rips.

Definitely Get Verbatim Blank Media (8X -R AZO) (Very Reliable) (Don't Get the DataLife Series)

Burn at 1/2 The Rated Speed Of the Disc
    Don't Surf or Multi-Task While Ripping and Burning

Get DVDFAB Here: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/DVDFab_Decrypter

A Guide: http://www.dvd-guides.com/content/view/225/59/
    The Guide is a Little Long in The Tooth But it's a Good One.

One Other Thing Download and Run Roxiozap To Get Rid of All Of ROXIO

Roxiozap : http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Roxio-Zap-Download-21600.html

On The SITE PAGE Under "Download locations For Roxiozap Click on one of the Soptpedia Mirror Locations (I Used US)

20. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

Apologies Berryone, not in my nature to bicker, I gave him a free shot or two at me before I fired back, but only my friends can speak to me that way. I'm done with it.
    Regards