1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i've upgraded to XP and now my cd-rw drive doesn't work

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by badboyq1, Sep 26, 2003.

1. badboyq1

badboyq1 Member

I just upgraded my computer from windows ME to XP. There was a problem, my cd-rw drive does not work. What happens is the drive has to search for their place on the cd. This happens when im burning a cd or if i put in a blank cd but if i put in an original cd it loads up properly. It never finishes burings a cd it only does the buffer and then it never finishes. i don't know what to do, can any one help me please.

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

For more information regarding ASPI see http://cd-rw.org/articles/archive/aspisetup.cfm

WindowsXP is a quirky OS when it comes to built-in burning capability. Many people claim to be able to burn fine. Many others have problems. Microsoft released an update to the IMAPI (which, FYI stands for Image Mastering Applications Programming Interface); that update can be found at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320174. Furthermore, Microsoft has adressed other burning issues with WindowsXP, see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324129

3. badboyq1

badboyq1 Member

i've tried these solutions but its not working, wot i forget to mention in my previous message that i was able to burn cd's on XP, its just a while ago when the driver stopped burning.

4. Praetor

So right now... i'm guessing you cant burn anything...

1. Check your drivers (you may consider uninstalling/rebooting to have XP reinstal the CDdrive for you)
    2. What make/model burner do you have?
    3. Is it possible your drive is toasted?

5. badboyq1

badboyq1 Member

i've already reinstalled the drive and i don't think its toasted because it can play original cd's but not cd recordables. the make of my driver is called MATSHITA CD-RW CW-7586

6. deanus_87

deanus_87 Member

has anybody yet sorted this problem ? i also have a Matshita 7586 - i can burn cd's no trouble - but my drive will not read any other cd's except for blanks, so now i can not re-write :( any possible suggestions ? if so please post reply - deano

7. Praetor

Could it be that your drive is on the way out? Can it read 'real' cds or do the problems only occur with homeburnt discs? Firmware?

8. deanus_87

deanus_87 Member

it won't read any cd's - not even original cd's - i also think its on its way out :) maybe i shud purchase a new one - but i thought maybe there was an update - i have tried the above one - and no difference - do you know if there is any other updates for this driver ? thnx - deano :)

9. Praetor

10. deanus_87

deanus_87 Member

lol of course i will look at it :) what is firmware all about ? :S deano

11. Praetor

Firmware is like a micro-bios just for your cd burner. It affects the core functionality of the burner.