1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Job Password (Legality)

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by NicHt, Mar 21, 2007.

1. NicHt

NicHt Regular member

I am currently working in Wisconsin, I have my first, secure (full time job) and I recently got this email from my boss:

Is this legal? I know back a couple years ago my high school allocated us our passwords, and they knew them. But is this specific case legal. Why the Fu** should I have to supply them with my passwords. I'm soo pissed off right now. (I really really don't want to lose this job.)
    So does anyone know if this is legal or not?

Thanks
    ~Nicht

2. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

That is case, just as stated, for some reason they need to access your stuff...like if you were struck by lightning or called in sick or were fired and you had the only copy of the "big presentation" on your PC and the future of the company depended on it. I know it feels like an invasion of privacy, but they probably won't be monitoring your actions if that is what you are worried about. If there is an IT dept. anyone of them could access your stuff at any time anyway without the passwords. I wouldn't worry about it.

3. NicHt

NicHt Regular member

Oh... okay still pissed off though!
    Thanks anyway

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

besides which who owns the computer, you or the company? most likely the company so they can do what they want as it is their property & not yours as you just use it.

5. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

That being said...they probably don't expect any personal information to there to begin with.

6. ulagy

ulagy Member

I have friends in the IT world that would do this type of thing. They would tell new hires to never give out passwords to any one. Than randomlly they would test people by just plain out asking the staff for their passwords. They are expecting you not to give them your passwords. So, your situation sounds like one of my evil friends scheme to see if you will give up your password. I personally would ask a manager about this. Im not trying to get you mixed up. Just my two cents.

7. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Agreed, this is a social engineering trick if i ever saw one.
    go talk to the manager/boss/whoever, and inquire about this, and have them explain, if this IS real, what data it is exactly that they need.
    This email you got can be interpreted very broadly.