1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just bought a new house and the big screen is next..Can I get some pointers?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by JohninTN, Jun 15, 2004.

1. JohninTN

JohninTN Member

Here is a link of the den with the current owners stuff there. We close the 25th. The sofa is about 15+ ft from the tv.

What size screen would you reccomend and a moderately priced theater sound system?

Thanks in advance

John

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/johnduke/den.JPG

2. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Hi John, screen size is purely down to preference. If the sofa is 15+ feet from the TV screen, then i would recommend 40"+ for a good experience, probably larger. It depends on what you are looking for?

- price: Get an idea of your budget for the Audio and for the Video. Let us know both.
    - Type: Plasma/Projector/LCD/RearProjection
    - Sound:
    ------->Seperate Receiver/Component/Speaker setup
    ------->All-in-one Home Cinema System
    - Whether you are looking at anything at the minute of have anything in mind.

Chris

3. kcc76

kcc76 Regular member

go for a toshibs 50" i have 1 myself and my living area is 32ftx15ft and it perfect or try the toshiba 57" even better

4. OmahaPhil

OmahaPhil Member

Have you thought about a front projector?

5. JohninTN

JohninTN Member

Front projector hasn't poped up yet..Been giving this a lot of thought as far as the budget goes. The previous owners had the room wired for surround sound and the wire is still there.. I want to get the most bang for the buck...Suggestions on 50in and sound?

I'm not dodging the budget question but will spend what I need to....

Thanks
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Processor (AMD 2.1Ghz)
    OS (WinXP SP1)
    Motherboard ()
    Installed RAM (768MB RAM)
    Hard drives (2/80 Gig Maxtor)
    ROM Drives & Firmware if possible (DRU500AX[1.0g]/2.0f [/small]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2004
  6. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Hi, im not really your man for RPTV (Rear Projection TV), but i do not a good bit about sound ser-up and equipment. Really need to know a rough guess on budget, and whether you are starting a brand new 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 system from scratch?

7. JohninTN

JohninTN Member

$2K on the TV and I don't have the foggiest idea on the sound system. From the pic you can see the front speakers
    on the tv. The rear speakers were mounted on each side of the room even with the couch on shelves on the wall near the ceiling. The were about half the size of the front speakers.

Does size count ? :) On speakers that is..:)

8. thor999

thor999 Regular member

what you want is a mitsubishi 55" hdtv MEDALLION series, not the silver series. I believe ultimate and circuit city carry them. I got a sony 6.1 channel reciever with polk audio surround, works great for me. Also have a ge-force Ti 4400, with a DVI output, connected to the DVI in on the back of the tv, actually get windows on the bigscreen, sweet. AVI files look almost sweet as dvd's, definitely sound just as good.

9. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

I personally tend to stay away from Sony receivers. Id get a good Denon or Marantz 6.1/7.1 system for around $500-$800 and a set of speakers + sub for around $800-$1000 - i love Monitor Audios myself, but they are expensive....

10. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

One word, Mitsubishi.

11. JohninTN

JohninTN Member

What about the extended service plans??

12. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I used to sell audio and video and service plans were often jokingly referred to as free money except for large screen TV's. If it breaks down you don't want to have to pack it up and carry it in or hire someone to come to your home to fix it and the parts can be costly.

13. waylow

waylow Member

I higly recommend the Hitachi 57/65" (especially since you are 15' away) s500/s700(a built is atsc tuner is the difference). Great PQ and adjustability and right in your price range.

14. thor999

thor999 Regular member

yeah, I only bought the sony reciever cuz' the widescreen broke me. You know what though? It really ain't bad! Could use another composite video in maybe but I was quite impressed really, since I got a 6.1 channel reciever for under 200 US! Mitsubishi is the ONLY WAY to go for widescreen and if you buy from Ultimate, and get the extended service package highly recommended, ONLY for widescreens, you actually get a rebate at the end of the contract if you choose to not get the scheduled annual cleanings. Not a bad deal, but damn does it look good when its cleaned! Also, find the AVIA guide to home theater (DVD) it has a very nice setup system for your home theater. Just remember to exercise and eat right! (Couch sex is not exercise, I asked.)