1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just got a burner....need some help!!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by DGurl, Nov 21, 2004.

1. DGurl

DGurl Member

I just picked up a Sony Dual Layer burner and had it installed. I installed the DVDX Copy Platnium program just fine. I wanted to try and do a test run on backing up a DVD movie. It read the DVD fine but when it got to the second step where it ask for a blank disc, the start button is not highlighted. It remains gray. Why is that? Is there a particular kind of DVD that you need to use to backup DVD movies? Please help. :-(

2. animedvds

animedvds Member

yes gurl..u need a RECORDABLE dvd either -R or +R depending on the compatibility of what u are going to use to play it some dvd players play both formats others dont..make sure the dvd has at least 4.7Gb of space thats average and depending on the speed of your burner u may want to get a disc thats faster than 4x to increase the speed of the burn..as for the xcopy i've never used it but i'm sure someone around here wil be able to help u w/that..there are other burning tools u could use besides that one

3. DGurl

DGurl Member

Thanks. I had picked up some DVD-R 4.7GB, however I dont know what the writing rate is. I wish things were a little simpler to understand. Besides using DVDXCopy, are there other burning program out there that are pretty decent. I heard CloneDVD 2 is pretty good. Where do I get something like that. I did download the DVD Encrypter and DVD Shrink too. I don't know exactly how to use them or even what exactly they are for. If someone can give me some idea. Thanks for all your time.

4. animedvds

animedvds Member

CloneDVD <--click that and go to download..
    clonedvd- compresses & burns movies
    dvd shrink-compresses & burns as well (not sure if it rips)
    dvd decrypter- rips,and i believe will burn ISO files

get anydvd(will remove copyright protection) & clonedvd and u should be alright.. be aware though i'm having a problem w/clonedvd as we speak but overall its a pretty good program

5. animedvds

animedvds Member

click the Software tab on the top of this page to get downloads & the Guides tab can come in handy as well once you've downloaded the software u need

6. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

DGurl,
    First thing if you would kindly tell us the model number of your burner that would help, but if you just bought the burner and it is a Sony then it should support just about any format you throw in it. Second if you have downloaded DVD Shrink then I would suggest you start out backing up your DVD's with that program. Sure there are some better out there, but as far as being simple to use and still get pretty darn near a perfect back up you can't beat it. Once you get more into backing up DVD's then you can try everything out there and choose what ever you like best. You can use the DVD Shrink guide that is provided here on AD, but I also have a guide I made on my web sight http://home.comcast.net/~bbmayo
    it is more for the beginner and if you follow it to the "T" you should have no problems.

I hope this helps you out :)

7. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

The problem with XCopy is it's old and hasn't been updated in awhile and probably doesn't recognise your drive.

Either that or you need to make sure your burner's firmware is up to date and you ran drive select.

If you have any future XCopy questions, post in aD's XCopy forum: http://dvdxcopy.afterdawn.com

Last, I would do what bbmayo suggests. Try DVD Shrink. Why? Cause it's free.

8. DGurl

DGurl Member

Thanks to all those that have given me great advice and assistance. I will try and use the DVD Shrink program. If I have any other problems, I will be back. Animedvds, where did you get anydvd? I wasnt sure if that is a program or not!! Thanks again for everyones help. Have a good one. Take care

9. animedvds

animedvds Member

10. DGurl

DGurl Member

Thanks Animedvds!! I just got done downloading it. I tried running it and I'm having problems burning now. It reads just fine but when it gets to the writing part, it stops in the middle of the process. It tells me that "write media error" and it could be that I have bad media, whatever that means. I'm not sure if its the disc that I'm using. I thought it was the write speed. My burner is 16X but I don't know what the speed of the recordable DVDs are. I changed the speed too. I'm getting so frustrated. Ugghhhh......Help!!

11. animedvds

animedvds Member

oh wow.. i did'nt know u were going to download the clonedvd 2 as well i've been getting that same write error for days now & have'nt been able to get around it someone else on here has been getting it too
    tell me something.. were u using clonedvd b4 u downloaded the anydvd?

12. animedvds

animedvds Member

uninstall both programs and try other software instead.. use dvdshrink or dvddrcrypter instead of anydvd & nero or something else instead of clonedvd k

13. DGurl

DGurl Member

Animedvds....I downloaded CloneDVD before I downloaded anydvd. I tried using it but it wouldn't work on write protected DVDs. So I came here seeking for help. I got your advice and downloaded anydvd. It was doing okay. I thought it was the write speed but I guess that wasn't it. I tried using the DVD Shrink and DVD Encrypter but I didn't understand it. There was also a write error. I have no idea what is really going on. I wonder if it has anything to do with my computer. I guess I'm going to try again. I've wasted 4 DVDs already and I hope this would be the last. Thanks!!!

14. animedvds

animedvds Member

NOOOOOO!!! STOP..i've gone through at least 50 DVDs trying to solve this exact issue..seems to me that anydvd may be the problem then if according to you u were using it b4 u downloaded the anydvd..hmmmm i was using clonedvd & anydvd just fine & about a week ago i got the error message and my nightmare began OMG i feel so bad now for trying to help u..just uninstall them & use something different sweetie because believe me i've been losing sleep trying to figure the problem

15. DGurl

DGurl Member

Okay.....I'm going to stop. If you have any ideas or other programs that you can suggest that would be great. BTW, don't beat yourself over it. You didn't know. I just heard from a lot of readers that CloneDVD was by far the best. I was actually using DVD XCopy first but it didn't work for me either. So I decided to look elsewhere. I found this site and read some of the forums. I really do appreciate all that you've done to help me with my problems. Thanks again. Take care.

16. flip218

There is nothing wrong with AnyDVD and CloneDVD2. I just tested the newest versions AnyDVD v4.1.1.2 and CloneDVD2 v2.5.3.3

I successfully backed up Chronicles of Riddick in 31 minutes. Using TDK 4x +R w/ CMC media code <--- :)

It's not the software

17. DGurl

DGurl Member

Okya thanks. I'll try again. If it doesnt work, I'm going to find something else. So if it isnt the software what could be wrong? Could it be my computer or something?

18. animedvds

animedvds Member

Hi, i just successfully burned [bold]Elf[/bold]
    i used [bold]dvdshrink[/bold] to compress it
    [bold]anydvd[/bold] was running in the background
    and [bold]clonedvd[/bold] made the burn @ [bold]4x speed[/bold]
    i tried making a 2nd copy but it failed now i'm getting the error again..so i'm still not sure what the problem is..any suggestions flip ?

19. animedvds

animedvds Member

you think that upgrading my BIOS might help flip ?

20. flip218

Hmm .. dunno never had to update my BIOS.

I'll try to make a second copy to see if I get any errors.