1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop as DVD?

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by movieweb, Feb 18, 2007.

1. movieweb

movieweb Member

I have a Dell Inspiron E1505 running Vista Home Premium (the laptop has an S-Video connector, plus one labled "video," as well as USB) that I'd like to use to attach to my TV to view DVDs on (the TV is a Sanyo with cable, RCA and S-Video connectors).

I also have a Motorola cable box, if it would be better to go through that.

I tried S-Video to S-Video from the TV to the laptop but it didn't work.

Does the TV need to be in "TV" or "Video" mode?

Any other advice, ideas welcome.

Thanks!

2. nownthen

nownthen Regular member

For most tv setups your going to want to be in video mode. By the sounds of it you'll have at least two of them. One of which will response with you s-video input.

What did you do to activate you laptop to use s-video?
    If you right click on you desktop and then go to properties. Select the settings tab. Tell me if you see one display or two (possibly more). If you see two one is going to represent you laptop monitor and the other is going to represent you tv. You have to extend windows onto the tv. You should look at your manual they should have instructions for viewing your laptop on a tv.
    Make sure that the s-video is plugged in and the tv is on before starting up you computer. Sometimes that makes a difference.

3. movieweb

movieweb Member

Man, it was so easy to do, I thought I was using a Macintosh!

(Note to Microsoft: If you want to use the above in your advertising, you can if you pay me lots of money. (c) 2007 Philip Bishop. :))

With both TV and laptop off, attached SV cable. Turned on laptop, right clicked, and found a choice to send video to TV, and lo and behold it did. Holy s#$t, PCs have come a long way since my Commodore PET and Kaypro 2X (which I still have).

Thanks!

4. nownthen

nownthen Regular member

I'm glad it worked out.