1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

laptop internt from WIFI to LAN

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by omgomga, Apr 23, 2007.

1. omgomga

omgomga Member

SO I have this laptop and it works great with wifi, but I need to plug it in to a modem. So when I plug the cord in nothing happens, is there a way I can change my internet connection from wifi to lan

thanx
    BB

2. nownthen

nownthen Regular member

I'm assuming Windows

In the systems tray do you ever get icons that looks like two screens with a red x on it. Unless you have turned this off it should indicate that your LAN is not connected.

After you plug it in you might want to go to your Network Connections and see what that indicates. Is LAN even enabled? Right now I'm running off of wireless and have disabled my LAN.

Usually if your running directly from a modem you have to input a username and password to be able to connect with your ISP. I've had two different ISP's one I just had to use the internet setup wizard and the other had software they sent with the modem.

Restarting with the internet plugged in couldn't hurt. I don't think you should have to though.

3. omgomga

omgomga Member

Yes I am using windows (sorry for not making clear)and yes
    In the systems tray I do get icons that looks like two screens with a red x on it. My LAN might be dissabled how do i turn it back on???

ty
    BB

4. nownthen

nownthen Regular member

The easiest way to do it is to go to your Network Connection (control panel,Network and Internet Connection) . You should have a list of wireless and LAN. Right Click on LAN and enable it.

Generally if it's disabled the icon won't show up in the systems tray. That icon should indicate that it is trying to connect when the cable is plugged in.