1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop wont start, lights turn on

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by makohazard, Jul 29, 2013.

1. makohazard

makohazard Member

I know there is another thread exactly like this but I was looking for some help troubleshooting the problem. I realize its most likely the motherboard but I was following a guide (I can't post the link since I'm a new user)and the guide is taking me through steps, such as disconnecting the bios battery to reset it, trying to see if I could solve the problem.

I have a Lenovo Ideapad Z565. I took the entire thing apart but I cant seem to locate a bios battery or dip switch. The guide says to remove the battery and put it back in to reset the bios but Im thinking the battery in this model doesnt come out.

Do you guys know if there is a bios battery or dip switch I can mess with that Im not seeing? Also, is it pretty likely that my motherboard is completely shot anyways? A dead motherboard isnt really worth replacing on a laptop right?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

look for a coin shaped object that might be in blue or yellow heat shrinked plastic with 2 wires attached to it & a white connector at the end of the 2 wires.

3. makohazard

makohazard Member

Yeah I was looking for that. I'm thinking this model doesn't have a removable one. I saw a circular object that looked close to being a battery but it seems to be soldered right onto the motherboard. I guess I just need to cut my loses. Maybe I could sell it to someone for parts at least =/

Thanks

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

that is most likely the cmos battery if about the size of a 25 cent piece.