1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LG dual layer?

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by carrick, May 20, 2004.

1. carrick

carrick Member

I like many other people have been eagerly following the emergence of dual layer dvd burners and firmware upgrades and found this at the korean lg site

http://www.lge.co.kr/about/news/news_read.jsp?cnews=1&seq=3566

It was posted a couple of days ago but i haven't heard anything about it. The words double layer and 8.5 GB appear and the image looks identical to the current multi format burners! Is this simply a new burner or possibly a firmware upgrade? I have tried a few translation services but the text is mainly technical specifications so difficult to interpret.

Any feedback from those with Korean language skills would be helpful or anyone else who can explain.

2. carrick

carrick Member

Looks like I answered my own question... should have done some more research. The model shown was the GSA-4120B which does support dual layer dvd burning (thankyou cdfreaks). Looks like this model whill be out pretty soon which destroys any incentive to provide a dual layer firmware upgrade for earlier versions.

Last edited: May 20, 2004
  3. colw

colw Active member

This is somewhat of a cross post but I think people need to think carefully before going for the latest and greatest - dual layer media at $13 plus per disk will be a very expensive and frustrating experience for many in the initial stages.

As demonstated in these forum quite a few people have problems with 70 cent coasters - what are we to do with the $13 ones - sounds like fry - try then cry.

Verbatim Spins Out Dual-Layer DVD+R Discs

Discs pack almost twice the capacity of predecessors, work with most current drives
    The first dual-layer DVD+R recording media are set to go on sale in Japan at the end of this month and in the U.S. in June, says disc maker Mitsubishi Kagaku Media. The discs offer 8.5GB of recording space compared to the 4.7GB of space available on a standard DVD+R disc.
    They will cost around $13.30 per disc in Japan, said a spokeswoman for the company.
    How It Works
    As the name suggests, the extra recording capacity is made possible through the addition of a second recording layer inside the disc. To make it possible for a single laser to access both recording layers, one behind the other, the top layer has been made semi-transparent. That allows enough reflectivity for data storage and playback while also allowing light to pass through to the second layer.
    Similar technology is already in use in commercial DVD-Video discs and so is supported by almost all DVD drives currently on the market. The dual-layer discs should be compatible with any drive that supports these discs, according to Mitsubishi Kagaku.
    Going for Drives
    Recording drives supporting the new media are already on sale.
    Sony launched both the internal DRU-700A and external DRX-700UL drives in Japan, the United States, and Europe in May. The drives support dual-layer DVD+R recording at 2.4X and also writing of single-layer DVD+/-R at 8X, DVD+/-RW at 4X, CD-R at 40X, and CD-RW at 24X. Philips also showed a drive at the Cebit electronics fair in Hanover, Germany, in March. The DVDR1640K drive supports up to 16X recording on single-layer DVD+R discs and 4X recording on DVD+RW discs.
    An alternative to dual-layer technology is double-sided discs. These offer double the storage space at 9.4GB but require the user to take out and flip over the disc to gain access to the second side. Such discs are already on the market.
    Source: PC World
    Martyn Williams, IDG News Service
    Friday, May 21, 2004