1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LG GSA 4120B Not burning at 8X (only burning at 4X) HELP!!

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Styarbwoy, May 1, 2005.

1. Styarbwoy

Styarbwoy Member

I bought a LG GSA 4120B Muli purpose drive but when i installed it and everything it doesn't burn at 8x as it said it would. i can only burn at 4X speed and no higher, i just wanted to know if there was something i was missing

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Your burn speed listed is a maximum burn speed. Your burner takes a look at the media you are using and determines the actual burn speed. Some inferior media will not burn at the speed listed on the packaging.

My 8X Taiyo Yuden -Rs burn at 12X with my Pioneer 109.

3. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

You also need to check if you have your DMA enabled on the ide buss your burner is installed on.

4. Styarbwoy

Styarbwoy Member

I tried to set the DMA on but the only one i can make DMA turned on is for the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers i set it to DMA if available but when i tried to est the drive and the hard drive to DMA there is no option. hopefull it is the disc media. im using RIDATA DVD-R's

5. ALAND

ALAND Regular member

Your 8x tys may burn at 12x with hacked firmware but not with orig. What is the media id on those 8x Tys.

6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

You don't need hacked firmware to get 12x or 16x out of the newer 8x media out there.The majority of the newer 16x burners will burn 8x media at the 12x and 16x speeds. That's why I am very cautious on my burn settings,by not leaving them set on max.

I've still got the original B7-C9 firmware in my first benq 1620 and it will do the sony +1x-8x at 16x. Taiyo yuden makes some of them,Yuden000-T02 and Sony-D11 from the taiwanese- Both will and have been burned at 16x.

I still keep the burn speed at 4x just to help eliminate the possibility of errors.

Fasfrank probably has the Ty-g02's?

7. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

I have the factory firmware in my Pioneer 109... Firmware Version 1.40.

8. ALAND

ALAND Regular member

Then I guess my Liteon new SOHC 1673 S JS07 is a dud because I have all the media you guys talked about, the Sony and the Yuden all 8x with great media ID tags and my burner set at 16x will only burn at 8x ( 6.51Avg ). I used the pattin-couffin engine that comes with CopytoDVD 3.0.53 ( VSO product ). Maybe I will invest in another new writer a Pioneer or an NEC 3540 ( just came out ) I heard the NEC has firmware upgrades to recognize New Media weekly. Right now on the East coast 16x media is rare, except on the internet ofcourse. What writer and burning engine do you recommend. I have the 321 software and OneClicktoDVD 4.1.1.8. I also use Shrink and Decryptor when I get a difficult movie. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
    Thanks

9. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

ALAND:
    I've got 2 benq 1620's. After messing around with a couple of generic,cheap burners,The second benq on my spare pc took care of all my compatability issues on just about all the stand alones,ps2's,and pc drives. I book-type my dvd+ media to dvd-rom. The pioneer is a quality burner,but I've heard it doesn't have the booktyping capability. Dvd decrypter and nero have the options to booktype dvd+ media to dvd-rom,if the burner is capable of it. The dash format does not fair as well on these same stand alones.I'm very satisfied from this under $50 burner.

Nero oem is my burn engine on both pcs. I mainly use dvd shrink/nero on 90%-95% of my backups. Since shrink does have trouble with the newer encryptions,dvd decrypter takes care of them.

The NEC is a fine burner,haven't heard much on the 3540 though.It sounds like it has the automatic firmware updating program like you described.I had an I/O magic 16x with the automatic updating,it was a total piece of crap,built by EMPA.Who the hell is EMPA?,LOL
    Even booktyping them to dvd-rom,the plus format totally sucked,50% compatability.

Good Luck