1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lifespan of dvd players and using as audio

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by sorrow93, Jan 10, 2007.

1. sorrow93

sorrow93 Regular member

some dvd players have such short lifespan but the price is okay... I have been using a stand-alone-dvd-player as a cd player because it was a cheaper alternative it has been rocking for over 3 years my question is - why has it played thousands of audio cds and yet the dvd play is dead or faulty - do they have two seperate lasers or something?
    I am still waiting for it to die and might go for the same model when it does.

2. JVC

JVC Active member

CD technology probably hasn't changed much over the years. DVD technology has. With all the new encriptions being added them, they are creating a lot of problems for people.

Go to the manufacturer's site, for your dvd player, and see if there's a firmware upgrade for your model. Send them an email, if you don't see something.
    Good luck!

3. sorrow93

sorrow93 Regular member

do you see my logic in spending say $50-$60 on a dvd player when an actual cd-player would cost more?
    I have the l/r av cables plugged into the aux of the stereo and luckilly the dvd player has some front buttons don't even need the remote.
    thanks for the advice.
    cheers