1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking to edit hard coded subs

Discussion in 'Subtitle help' started by Pop_Smith, Mar 4, 2007.

1. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

I have a show on DVD, Red vs Blue, that at certian parts it contains subtitles. I tried using SubRip but I think the subs are hard-coded onto the video.

Does anyone know how I could edit these? I am doing this to make it mroe "family friendly" as their is a lot of language in it. I am working on removing the language from it but that is a different story.

I guess my question is:

Is it possible to edit the hard-coded subs? I just want to take out the swearing and not the complete subs if at all possible.

If needed I can try and post a link to a screen shot of what I am talking about.

2. moonrocks

moonrocks Regular member

If the subs are hard coded then you can't edit them. They are part of the video. The best you could do is to re-encode the video and blank the subs out with a filter.

You'd then have to take that re-encoded video and add a new set of subs and postition them over the blanked out portion of the video.

You could do it, but it's really an unfortunate way to go.

3. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

Yeah lol, that is probably why SubRip didn't pick 'em up is because they are not "real" subs.

So other then a lot of manual work their is no real way of doing it? Probably not from what I gather but oh well.

Thanks for the help!