1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M3 real, R4 etc etc

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by Anjelica, Jan 1, 2008.

1. Anjelica

Anjelica Member

Blimey - I logged on here because I was bored and I am dumbstruck!!

I have just been playing games on my DS Lite and it seems there's more to it than that.

Please can someone explain to an idiot like me what M3 real, R4, Homebrew etc etc are.

I have not heard of all this stuff and womder what I am missing. Does it all depend on what 'generation' DS i have or are these things optional extras? What benefits would they bring to my gaming experience?

I am sooo keen to know more

Thanks

2. Anjelica

Anjelica Member

Oh, and another thing.......what's this about watching films on my DS?

Any info would be great

Thanks

3. woof811

woof811 Regular member

hello a r4ds , m3ds simply or a m3ds real will transform your nintendo ds into a multi media player ie. it will play roms ( backed up games ), music ( in mp3 format ) and movies ( in .dpg format ).

here have a read - http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=41279

homepage for software/firmware - http://www.r4ds.com/index-en.htm

as well as a r4ds you will need a micro sd memory card , this slots inside your r4ds and holds all the roms ( games ) , music or movies .

i recommend using kingston micro sd memory 1 or 2 gig will do.

ps. make sure before you order that they are in stock , a lot of websites are selling out fast at this time of year :eek:)

4. y4m4h4

y4m4h4 Member

Wait, so have you ever used a flash cart before? If not, some of this might not make so much sense. A good starting place for anything of this sort is http://wiki.pocketheaven.com

1.) M3 Real, R4, etc...
    These are different names for the different DS flash carts out there.
    The earlier ones (original Supercards, M3 Perfect/Lite) ran DS and GBA games from the GBA slot and required a Passme (or flashing your DS firmware) to play DS games this way. I have fond memories of this stuff ^-^
    The ones we talk about today all run from the DS slot. The R4, M3 Simply, CycloDS, and many other ones were originally meant for just DS games, but with the right stuff can load GBA games onto the EZ Flash 3-in-1. The M3 Real you asked about is like this but comes with its own GBA type cart to do this.

2.) Homebrew
    Ah, fun stuff. This is basically any program created by the users themselves to run on the DS (or any other system, for that matter). This includes NES emulators, media programs, homebrew games, chat programs, and so on. That pocketheaven wiki I mentioned above has a smallish list. Or try this site (qj.net), which has a ton of downloads for them.

3.) Movies, music, etc
    There might have been a couple Japan-only Nintendo things to let you do this... however almost all of the time you will need homebrew programs for this, probably Moonshell. For movies you need to convert them to DPG format (I use BatchDPG). It also plays mp3s, views pictures, dispenses beer... maybe.

"Does it all depend on what 'generation' DS i have?"
    Well... for the most part it doesn't, but I know that the M3 Real's GBA-sized carts will only fit in the Lite, however the EZ Flash 3-in-1 comes in both sizes.

Now you probably have more questions than you started with...

5. jilly07

jilly07 Member

okay so can you download nintendo games onto the R4? If so where do you find/download/buy the games?

6. Anjelica

Anjelica Member

I know this one!!! I put 'Nintendo DS ROMS' into Google and had a look at what that threw up.

I also went onto a couple of Torrent websites

7. Anjelica

Anjelica Member

And yes, you're right, I do now have more questions!

My Son has a DS while I have a DS Lite so I guess the R4DS is the best option as we can both use it but I was wondering....

1) Are the ROMS full games or are they just trial versions

2) Does the Wi-Fi functionality still work on a ROM ie can I play is over a wireless router

3) Can My son have the R4DS in his console and can I download a two-player game to play with him

Again, any information, opinion, and advice is most welcome

8. woof811

woof811 Regular member

to reply to your questions -

1 , roms are full games not trials

2 , wifi works and yes you can play over a wirelee router

3 , to play against each other you would both need a r4ds in each nintendo ds

my kids have r4ds and they all play against each other ( animal crossing etc...... )

a link to show you how compatible the r4ds is for playing roms (games) - http://wiki.scorpei.com/index.php/R4_compatibility_list

numbered roms are currently 0001 - 1901.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2008
  9. Anjelica

Anjelica Member

Thanks to everyone who gave their advice and opinions.

I bought the R4DS from Gameyeeeah and I rec'd it within a week. I now have customised themes, installed the iPod clone and am now looking to create my own back ups.

If I can do it - anyone can!

10. clockey

clockey Member

I bought my R4DS from:
    And downloaded games from Romsite.net, My kids love Mario Kart.

11. hanc

hanc Member

I too am new to all this.
    Having recently acquired DS's for my kids, I was told about the R4 by a friend.
    Seems to be a wonderful peice of kit.
    The help, assistance and information being given will I'm sure be of great use.

Thanks to all.