1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Major problems burning CDs!

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by SCL, Jul 9, 2003.

1. SCL

SCL Member

I've been on the phone with Dell non stop for the past 3 days about my cd burning problems. I keep having buffer underrun errors even though: I defrag'd my hard drive, made sure no other programs are running, cleaning out my cd drives, did a system restore, changed a lot of settings, tried out different CDR brands and downloaded a patch from roxio.

And when the CDs DO burn, they burn very slowly, like at 6x, even though I'm selecting a 32x record speed. My computer is pretty fast so I shouldn't be having all these problems (pent 4, 2.25 ghz, 512 ram). Anyone know what the problem could be? Thanks. I've tried everything and am beyond frustrated!

2. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Right click My Computer>properties>hardware tab folder>device manager>click the + beside IDE\ATA Atapi controllers. Double click primary ide channel and go to the advanced settings tab folder and enable dma if available for device 0&1. Do the same for the secondary ide channel>reboot. Sounds to me that the burning program you're using is a memory hog using all your physical ram during the record process. If you're using Roxio Easy CD Cre(a)mater then seriously consider another burning application such as a freebie called BurnAtOnce.
    http://www.burnatonce.com/downloads/

Shoey :) _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Certified Computer Technician
    http://www.afterdawn.com/general/legal.cfm
    Forum Rules^
    Mobo: KT4VL MSI-6712
    CPU: AthlonXP Barton 2.5
    Ram: 512 SD-DDR (PC-2700)
    nVidia GeForce4 MX440-8x
    Maxtor ATA\133 80 gig hd

[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2003
  3. SCL

SCL Member

I tried what you suggested but still one of the drives froze up or something in the middle of the third track and stopped copying. Even when it was copying, it never did it at more than 9x (although I selected a 32x write speed). I have basically the same computer (new and fast) as my friend, whose roxio burns cds in a minute or two with no problem. Mine, while it decides to work, doesn't even go at the selected speed. I've been on the phone with dell for sooo long and nothing is happening. I'm beginning to think there is something wrong with one of my cd drives. Any other suggestions? This is getting beyond frustrating!

4. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

umm? something sounds faulty here! if its under warranty take it in for repair!

Thxxx

edit:

try uninstalling the device in device manager and also uninstall all cdrw programs! then reboot let it find the drives on load! then load another program like nero and try it!

you may have conflicting software?_X_X_X_X_X_[small]XP 1700 TBred [o/c 2004mhz = 12X167/33 = FSB-334mhz]
    A7V8X SATA150/RAID 2x80 gig [Bios 1012]
    HERCULES 3D PROPHET [9700 Pro]
    XMS Corsair Platinum pc3500 2x512 1024 meg
    ENERMAX PSU 550watts
    [​IMG] [/small]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2003
  5. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Good advice Roary buddy ole' pal. Install ASPI Layer 4.6 and [bold] uninstall [/bold] Roxio burning program m8.

ASPI 4.6:http://www.distractiononline.com/downloads_public/

Shoey :)

6. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Antivirus? Background apps?