1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

major windows xp problem

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by longley23, Jan 24, 2007.

1. longley23

longley23 Regular member

im having major problems with windows at the moment

Windows automatic updates has installed something that has made my computer act very strange.

Firstly it takes an age for windows to boot up
    my sound which was working perfectly before the updates were installed has now gone.

when i minimize a program such as internet or notepad it doesnt go to the task bar

when i try opening media player it says not enough memory

im unable to copy and paste in the c drive and unable to remove installed programs

anyone have a fix of this or is it gonna require a format

2. longley23

longley23 Regular member

its windows xp service park 2

3. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

Do a repair install of windows and when get back in and update windows if there is sound dont update sound. When you go to the windows update page click on custom and go down through the list.

4. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

No...it's not Service Pack 2.

If I may suggest...hold off on borhan9's suggestion on doing a repair install...for just a few. Keep that thought in mind, as you might have to do it.

Go to Add/Remove Programs. Check the box that says, "Show Updates". Start uninstalling the newest updates one by one and reboot each time. Chances may be, that if one of them is causing the problem, you can write down which update it was and avoid it when you choose "Custom" (as borhan suggested) thru Windows Update.

5. longley23

longley23 Regular member

Thanks For your help

i decided to format after doing a little research on the net. apparently mcafee security was causing the problem

Everything is fine now though i have disabled automatic updates

6. bkf

bkf Guest

But what about the older updates you should have. You would have lost them with a format. And if you talking about Mcafee 2007 Stay as far away from that as you can. It kills more systems then Microsoft.