1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Make SATA harddisk Master over IDE Hardisk...???

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by wotdefcuk, May 28, 2007.

1. wotdefcuk

wotdefcuk Member

Hi All....
    I got a C2D 6420 with Intel 965 Chipset. I have a 250 GB SATA seagate HDD. Now the problem is whenever i try to connect my 80GB seagate IDE HDD the system tries to boot from IDE drive not SATA. I have already connected the drive in Slave mode( by removing the jumper). I have also changed the boot settings and made SATA HDD primary...
    Plz help

2. pcrepair

pcrepair Regular member

it's in the bios :)
    boot from sata

whats your board?
    or whats your bios?

3. wotdefcuk

wotdefcuk Member

i have a intel DG965WH motherboard...

4. wotdefcuk

wotdefcuk Member

i have already tried to change the boot setting in the bios...
    but the bios still boots from the IDE HDD...........

5. Blackjax

Blackjax Regular member

You have a setting that is not correct in your bios. I am not familiar with that boards bios but most have similiar options.

Check you boot priority settings see what is listed first. If your sata drive doesn't show up in there then you have something set incorrectly in another part of your bios. Check you board manual closely it will tell you how to get working properly.
    Post up with bios rev. or let us know if you get it working and what you did!

6. pcrepair

pcrepair Regular member

Serial ATA and IDE Auto Configuration
    If you install a Serial ATA or IDE device (such as a hard drive) in your computer, the
    auto-configuration utility in the BIOS automatically detects and configures the device
    for your computer. You do not need to run the BIOS Setup program after installing a
    Serial ATA or IDE device. You can override the auto-configuration options by
    specifying manual configuration in the BIOS Setup program.

MANUAL IS HERE http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/dg965wh/sb/d4207803_en.pdf

Appears you have to set it up for a raid (don't have to actually raid it) to boot from sata <pretty poor manual>