1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making DVD-R's...

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Lynx_oslo, Feb 17, 2005.

1. Lynx_oslo

Lynx_oslo Guest

Well, this is a typically newbie post from somewone who has never burned a DVD before, only VCD&SVCD. The reason is, lack of space on the Harddisk.

My question is: is it a MUST to have 5GB free HD-space to burn a DVD?

I have several MPEG to DVD-burners. Can't I convert into DVD-MPEG2-file, and then burn? I have used NERO to burn a SVCD to a DVD+R, witch I could play in my DVD-player, so if I can burn MPEG2 in 480*576(or 480) to a DVD, can I also make a MPEG2-file in DVD-resolution, and then burn?

How much space will an hour of MPEG2 in DVD-quality take?

This forum is nice for all who are into digital media..

Please read my post where I ask about how to remove all installed codecs from my computer, so I can start installing new ones...

Lynx(Oslo)

2. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

The amount of space required varies by the content of the MPEG you want to make a DVD from. You can't determine anything just based on running time because some video compresses better and some not as well. It also depends on the type of audio used. If you use uncompressed LPCM (WAV) audio it will take more space than using MPA (MPEG Audio) or AC3 (Dolby Digital). In general, however much space it takes for the video and audio, you should figure on using a little more than twice that much because after you encode you also need to author which will take up the same amount of space plus a small amount for IFO/BUP files and any menus you might add. If you're not making a DVD with menus the size difference between the video/audio files and the DVD files will be negligible.