1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making DVD's from MPEG files

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by garling, Jan 21, 2005.

1. garling

garling Guest

I have a few mpeg files that I want to make into a dvd. How would I do this. I want to around 5 mpegs on 1 dvd.

2. andmerr

andmerr Guest

you will need to covert them to mpeg2 format before you re author them with something along the lines of tmpgenc dvd author for example

3. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

4. andmerr

andmerr Guest

the questions a bit vague but with a dual layered disc and tmpenc dvd author i have managed to get 3 movies onto one disc.The process is time consuming.Each file had to be convertered from avi to mpeg 2 (around 10+ hours).I know there are better programs around than avi2mpeg like the mainconcept mpegencoder which does them in about an hour but i have issues with that one in that it will encode all but only plays about 18 mins with sound and the rest is silent.

That statement will change when bluray becomes more affordable to us poor folk.Looking forward to getting a few movies onto one disc.

catchya

andmerr

5. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

in fact your both wrong, it all depends on how long the movies you are encoding are...ive managed to fit 5 vcd encoded movies onto 1 dvd-5(single layer) because they all were on average 800mb each(do the math ;))...you can get 3 svcd encoded movies on 1 dvd-5 depending on bitrate and runtime...so garling it all depends on how big your 5 mpegs are..its easy to put vcds on dvd seeing 352x240/352x288 are valid dvd resolutions...all you have to do is resample the audio to mp2-48000hz with mpeg2vcr or any other alternative that works and then compile and burn thats it.

goodluck

6. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

No, Mick69. I said that if 'you convert a VCD-movie in a DVD-movie' (MPEG-1 - 352x240 to MPEG-2 - 720x480, as many people seems to love), 2+ movies won't fit! The rule is 'a VCD is 10 MB per minute' and therefore you can fit up to approx 450' minutes movies! (7.5 hours)

7. stardust

stardust Regular member

>if 'you convert a VCD-movie in a DVD-movie' (MPEG-1 - 352x240 to MPEG-2 - 720x480

Aldaco, why do you always stick to 720x480? It doesn't have to be full resolution.. When you have 352x240, 352x288, 352x480 or 352x576 MPEG-2s, then you have DVD standard video files (with MP2/48kHz audio).

8. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

sorry m8 couldnt completely comprehend just what you were trying to say in your previous post but yes ur right you cant fit 2+ dvd encoded movies on 1 dvd(unless poor quality doesnt bother you) but theres really no point converting vcd to dvd....waste of time and quality