1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Max burning speed for DVD-R movies?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by 2sweet4u, Apr 6, 2005.

1. 2sweet4u

2sweet4u Regular member

For ps2, I know anything above 2x gets screwed up.

How fast can you burn with movies? that you plan to use in DVD players.

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

It is strongly encouraged for you to stay at x4 or slower you could get by with x8 if your computer, DVD media, and writer are all in tip top shape.

3. qzyl2m

qzyl2m Member

I have burned 20 dvd using 8X +R discs at 16 X burning speed . Not one coaster.

4. baabaa

baabaa Active member

The maximum speed you should use is the maximum speed that your discs/burner and standalone can tolerate.

There isn't a 'rule of thumb' regarding speeds as there are several variables that differ between other peoples setups, therefore what suits others may not suit you.

However as bbmayo has suggested, the 'norm' at the moment is to burn at 4x, as there is a higher compatibility rate (statistically) with this speed.

I have a 16x burner, but I only burn at 4x as I know this is flawless for me and with the discs/standalones I have.
    I know the burner will burn fine at 16x, but with the ever increasing ranges of media on sale at the moment, you never know of the quality you get, so I go with the safest route................

Afterall, at 4x, it is roughly 15 mins - just time for a quick wordsearch and a nice cup of horlicks......................no need to burn at warp speed - unless you are producing bulk quantities.......................

5. spacedust

spacedust Regular member

qzyl2m: Now run those 16X burns threw nero cd quality test and see how crappy they look compared to say 4-6X.

Spacedust

6. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i'm with the 4x crew above.. it's just not worth the discs failing (remember - very important - just because a DVD has burnt successfully does not guarantee a faultless disc or faultless playback).
    I have a sexy 12x Dual layer blah blah burner and i now use nice Verbatim (Datalifeplus only) 8x , but only burn at 4x. I'm confident my setup will do 8x perfectly (in fact i've even burnt some crappy bulkpaq 8x at 8x while multitasking AND Shrinking other movies at same time for a few tests and some of those crappy quality discs played thru 100% fine), [bold]but[/bold] after many 100s of Verb's burnt and watched 100% at 4x i'm still sticking with 4x.
    What's 15mins per burn of 4GB of data!. Nothing, and i burn more disks than pancakes..!

Last edited: Apr 6, 2005