1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mobile b'band connections

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by bee9791, Oct 10, 2012.

1. bee9791

bee9791 Member

Hi Folks,

Im wondering is there anyone out there with a successful set up using a mobile broadband 3g dongle?? I have set up a connection where my 3g dongle is connected to a router and having speeds of 2-4 meg at times however my channels glitch/freeze/Jump/whatever u like to call it, every 10-20 seconds!!!
    At times the freezes aren't so bad but other times they are enough to break up the picture. Has anyone any theories on this, or how I can achieve the ultimate "Glitch Free" picture we all strive for, on my mobile dongle?

Its actually my pa's set up and the only broadband connection available in the area is mobile broadband.

Thanks for any feedback!

2. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

are u on ccam mate? on that ariva box? 2 to 3meg is fine for a share as its amount going back n forth on the line, but break up indicates the cline is the issue or ccam, can you check the speed of the line and the ping time? if the ping is to high it may cause it,

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  3. bee9791

bee9791 Member

Ping : 106
    Download Sp: 2.00 Mbps
    Upload Sp: 1.62 Mbps

Thanks for your reply Mickah, yes on ccam and It makes no odds what box is used (dm500, arriva 250, vu+duo) its always the same. A pause or break every say 10-20 seconds. the ecm times are v high when I check just after the glitch. The c line is perfect and the ccam is perfect.

Now its watchable, but gets v irratating after a while.

This is a diy job we have set up here as its an area in this country where its very difficult to get any broadband signal whatsoever.

So we improvised... I have a 3g dongle out on the roof with a glass water proof cover on it, on the roof the dongle has a 3g signal strengh of 2 bars. I have a usb cable running from the dongle on the roof down thru the Loft and down into the house which is then connected to a 3g Router which spreads the signal throughout the house. A Lan wire via network plugs connects then to the Arriva and hey presto!! We have pictures on TV, albeit glitched!!

I wonder is the distance from the 3g dongle on the roof.... to the router in the house some of the problem because the signal is carried here by usb extension cable of maybe 7ft .
    It is quite a distance.

By hook or by crook I want that glitch nullified !!!

4. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

the ping may be the prob mate, thats fairly big, I am getting a ping of 28 on mine, now I am using UPC, i think the Ping time along with the with the set up may be causing it, you have long cables, homeplugs in the mix also, can you get the router closer to the dongle?

Thats what I was getting on the ariva on my set up, a constant glitch in cycles,

5. bee9791

bee9791 Member

Yes, that was what I was going to try... I'll try and lose the usb cable even if it means putting the Router(closer to the dongle) in the attic, and see does it make a difference.

Thanks Mickah

6. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

np, I know you have a 2 mb line, but if if anything else is using the line this will reduce quality, anything else connecting to this dongle via the router? always found those dongles hit n miss at best, you try a speedtest on it? using speedtest and perhaps UPC speedtest so you can get a good idea

7. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

bee, such a setup does not work. mobile broadband has a latency issue which is shown exactly in the symptoms you describe

8. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

and to confirm download or upload speeds are irrelevant. i use a 1mb uncongested system that works just fine. so if you have 40mb download it is utterly irrelevant. the only issue is response times to time associated pieces of data. on that mobile broadband is flakey. so it is not the fault of cline provider

9. bee9791

bee9791 Member

True Fintannl, I just thought if I shortened that usb cable I mentioned, that might have a bearing on the whole system..... I am almost resigned to defeat!

Hope the powers that be start rollin out some of that b'band they've been promising.

Some hope!

10. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

its very easy to figure if latency is the issue. assuming you use cccam 2.2.1 or above you get to see ecm times (on a linux system anyway). if you see times greater than half a second then u have an issue

11. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

and usb cable is not your prob

12. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

have a buddy who uses mobile broadband for this stuff. he's tested 3, o2 and vodafone and finds vodafone gives best response time

13. bee9791

bee9791 Member

Yes Im using a vodafone dongle, its not too bad but still a wee bit glitchy. ah well! May set up with it for now. Thanks fintannl

14. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

bee, it depends what part of the country you get best signal and best network infrastructure. changes every 10 miles :)