1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

modem and router setup

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by akmaroc1, May 29, 2014.

1. akmaroc1

akmaroc1 Newbie

I live in Spain and have a telefonica adsl internet connection. I have a ASUS RT AC66U wireless router and a TP LINK TD 8817 modem router. I have been trying to use the tp link as the modem for the connection but have not had any luck after trying many things. When setting up the modem it gives me the option to put in bridge mode which i have tried and yet it still not working. The best i have managed is to get the wifi sporadicly working but the wired connection not working. Please any step by step instructions would be much appreciated. Thank you.

2. nownthen

nownthen Regular member

Last edited: May 30, 2014
  3. akmaroc1

akmaroc1 Newbie

I have had the modem working in router mode and it gives out a wireless signal along side the asus router. however when I put it bridge mode i get a wireless signal 2.4 and 5ghz from the asus which works on my iphone and macbook. however my widows 7 laptop which i set the routers up with using a cable only connects through a wired connection. yet my smart tv and set top box dont connect through a wired connection. which is odd. Its all very odd and frustrating im almost there but not quite im sure its something stupid. sorry if a bit confusing. Thanks

4. nownthen

nownthen Regular member

Keep the modem settings that work with a single computer plugged in. I don't think you should be in bridge mode. Most ISP use PPPoE for dsl. Make sure the ip address from the modem is different from the ip address on the first lan port on the router. Because your modem is a router it's going to assign an ip address that is usually 192.168.0.1 but the Asus router will also assign that ip address to your wired computer and could be the reason the wifi works and the lan won't.

5. akmaroc1

akmaroc1 Newbie

Thank you very much for all your help I have now managed to get it all up and running.