1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mono B&W PAL VHS to DVD

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by binford, Mar 13, 2005.

1. binford

binford Member

Hi All,

Any opinions regarding mono-sound B&W-image PAL format VHS to DVD xfer is appreciated: with regards to the following.

1. Apparently xferring VHS to digital camcorder before xfer via firewire to computer HD provides the best quality capture. Is this really necessary given that I am converting films with mono-sound and B&W images. Even with commercial studio restoration before retail release, these films retain their grainy images, inconsistent lighting, and sometimes wobbly sound. They have some fast action - car chases, biplane dogfights, "flapper" dancing. Understandably, these films can not afford to lose too much more in image, lighting, and sound quality. Will analogue signal straight to computer capture card do, or not?

2. As these are commercial retail VHS films (never to see the light of DVD) do I need to worry about this macrovision and clarifier stuff?

3. My VHS player has 4 heads, and white, yellow, red output cables. Do I need a top of the line player with 19 micro-heads (whatever that is) for the best signal output, given the nature of these VHS films.

Thanks for any assistance.

2. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

When you play the tapes on a standalone player, you see approximately the best possible quality there is.
    Capturing through a card, is going to degrade that quality, AND you may have to worry about Macrovision.
    Use the cam as a "passthrough" and it takes care of the macrovision, as well as giving you the BEST possible capture you can get.
    The cam acts as a TBC.
    A 4 head VCR is plenty good to get excellent caps, using the passthrough on the cam.