1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motorola v600 pc connect problem

Discussion in 'Motorola phones' started by blueandy, Sep 22, 2004.

1. blueandy

blueandy Member

Cannot get my V600 to connect to PC via usb cable - hope this is the right place to seek help

Windows XP s/pack 2
    Motorola V600
    Mobile Phone Tools Software (not sure exact version but installed update for v600 phone which came on the cd)
    Connection via usb cable

Installed the supplied usb driver (handset usb driver.exe)and it seems to install fine - attach usb cable and up comes New hardware wizard for motorola V600 usb modem -- so the cable obviously works

Use this and point to the drivers on the cd, (D:\Driver Setup\1.039_WIN2K_XP then several inf files which it auto selects)and have tried installing and reinstalling several times but it keeps falling over
    - unable to install modem

When I click on finish it goes on to say "an error occurred during the installation...cannot create a stable subkey under a volatile parent key"

I havent a clue what this means - I have totally deinstalled and reinstalled and always the same.

Mobile phones software obviously not applicable as the problem is before this can be used, but I have loaded it and tried recognising phone via it, but no joy as it always falls over at the add new hardware driver install with the error message above

2. GeeDaddy

GeeDaddy Member

BlueAndy,
    It might be a SP2 issue. Have you tried shuting down the SP2 firewall to see if that works? Make sure there is no browser or other connection present when you do this, and then re-apply your previous settings when done. If your version is older than 2.21b then try this:
    ftp:\\ftp2.bvrp.com/motorola
    download "mobilePhoneTools_2.21b_US.exe" on that site. Hope that helps!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2004
  3. blueandy

blueandy Member

Hi, thanks for the interest

I followed through your guidelines and updated the software - still hanging at the same point in the new hardwarewizard with "cannot install modem"

In the phones software the v600 is now showing so is a v600m, I tried both, but it always goes back to the hardware wizard :(

4. GeeDaddy

GeeDaddy Member

BlueAndy,
    Download this USB driver halfway down the page:
    http://www.motclub.com/html/drivers.htm
    That should work for you. By chance you dont have a smartcard/compact flash/SD reader connected to your system do you?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2004
  5. blueandy

blueandy Member

I'll go and give that a try

Ive got a card reader for my Olympus XP camera cards which also reads CF memory cards if thats what you mean - are you on the track of something ?

6. blueandy

blueandy Member

got the same error message about stable subkeys.....

boy this is frustrating

7. GeeDaddy

GeeDaddy Member

Just for the sake of eliminating the possibility, disconnect your reader "re-boot" and try it again. Also do a "power cycle" of your phone while its connected to your system.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2004
  8. blueandy

blueandy Member

It still alternates between the stable key message or cannot find the file message (but it doesnt say which file).. just keeps coming up modem cant be installed :(

9. blueandy

blueandy Member

Its got to be one of two things possibly

1. It was a locked Orange phone originally that was unlocked to work on vodafone

2. Theres something switched off in XP Management Services which needs to be enabled - but what I dont have a clue

I lean to the latter, as possibly this could account for file not found, if something is disabled

10. GeeDaddy

GeeDaddy Member

11. blueandy

blueandy Member

Hi, thanks for your patience on this

I d/l the zip file and extracted to a new directory P2, ran the install wizard and pointed to the new directory

Got the same error message about stable keys etc... Im really starting to think this is pointing to something whch has been switched off in the SP2 service pack, and needs enabling

12. GeeDaddy

GeeDaddy Member

I only have SP2 on one of my boxes; waiting for a few of my app's to be deleted from their list by fixes before doing the rest. But will boot it up later and check the processes running to see if I can decipher what the problem may be then get back with you.

13. blueandy

blueandy Member

that would be a big help, as the trouble with switching things on and off can cause knock on problems

I dont suppose theres a Win98SE driver and version of the phone software as I have that on a machine at work and could try an install there

14. GeeDaddy

GeeDaddy Member

BlueAndy,
    The same applications you have should work for Win98 also. If you can try the install at work do so. I couldn’t find any process running that I felt could cause a problem on my system, but then all installs are different on each machine. I'll do some more research on the matter when I get a chance.

15. blueandy

blueandy Member

I'll let you know tomorrow how it goes - if unsuccesful I will post a list of the prgs that are disabled on my system after the XP2 s/pack install - this might help narrow things down

thanks again

16. GeeDaddy

GeeDaddy Member

What I would suggest you do today though is go into your Device Manager and check out your Ports (COM&LPT) to see if all of your Com ports are already assigned. I'm still thinking that it has to do with your card reader, even though you disconnected it and did a re-boot your OS might still keep those ports assigned to the reader and not let another device use them.

17. blueandy

blueandy Member

I'll look at that this evening.

In the meantime I tried the install on a Win98SE machine, didnt get the error messages at all this time. Got to the Phone Tools installation, selected USB connection and then it didnt really go beyond that.

Kept refusing to detect the phone, so I tried a Setup from with the PT software, this gave a phone on screen more like the v600 but not exactly the same still - however it still refused to initialise which remained on the screen

I wonder if the person who supplied the phone and unlocked it from Orange for me, locked it to Vodafone -would this cause a problem - would be a bit daft if it did, as there is no way that I can see to get pictures from the phone to the computer as things are at the moment

18. GeeDaddy

GeeDaddy Member

BlueAndy,
    I dont understand why your having so many problems. If it was unlocked it should work for any service provider. It would not make sense to unlock it from Orange and lock it into Vodafone. Usualy a provider will unlock it for free if your going to use it on their network. Why dont you delete the software and then download 1.23c first from here:
    http://www.motclub.com/html/programs.htm#mpt
    Then update that with the 2.21b update from here:
    ftp:\\ftp2.bvrp.com/motorola
    "mobilePhoneTools_2.21b_US-exe"
    Make sure you use the P2K driver pack from here:
    http://www.motclub.com/html/drivers.htm
    Lets just start from step one, it might have been a bad install. "when all else fails"

Last edited: Sep 27, 2004
  19. blueandy

blueandy Member

Ive had a confirmation that the phone is not locked now to anyone.

Im going to take an office laptop home tonight and download using my broadband connection those links again from scratch and reinstall into the "new" computer.

Thank you.

20. blueandy

blueandy Member

Well I got there in the end... afew issues but hey its working, still afew questions but those I will ask in the minute - and I got there in Win98se on the machine I tried yesterday

I think the first possible cause of the previous problem was I was pointing to a file location for the drivers, which had several inf files therein. This time I pointed to the actual P2k file.

However using the one in the link message saw me have a device not found error (this was dated 11-6-2003) for the motorola usb modem. Somehow I found myself at a directory offering me another example of this file (dated 8-25-2003) I selected this and things were starting to improve.

Next however I had the missing file error again - this time though it was named as usbserv.sys. A quick search showed this in several directories on my system, so I pointed the software at one of them directly and it solved that problem.

So its now interfacing, the on screen picture is marginally different but it works.

Two problems I have identified however were

1. Trying to send a text message I wanted to select a number in the phone directory which was syncd both on the phne and the computer -- I could not access any numbers throgh the text sending section though

2. I could not work out how to upload any pictures, I went into the appropriate section, got a picture up on my computer (wasnt sure what format I needed to save, or what size file - but the transfer to phone button was greyed out)

Any help on these two issues would be great

GeedDaddy thanks a million for your support without you I wouldnt have got this working !!