1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem Movie too small

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by Brimorton116, Aug 6, 2016.

1. Brimorton116

Brimorton116 Regular member

Hello

I downloaded a movie from Youtube, it only fits half of my TV screen, is there a way to stretch it without losing the resolution

Thank you

Dan

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

resolution isn't the issue it's the aspect ratio that makes a movie look stretched if the settings are wrong,you'll have to play with them in your media player to see if you can get it to full screen or close to it with maybe top & bottom black bars

3. Brimorton116

Hi scorp, thanks for responding , i never explain myself correctly, here is a screen shot of what I am talking about, I want the movie to be full screen

Thank you

Attached Files:

4. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

I'm not sure you can make it bigger as it appears to be recorded as a picture in picture type video,i've seen these on the tube they're a pain in the ass.

5. Brimorton116

Thanks scorp , i wonder why they would upload such a small file size, can I ask another question or do I have to start a new thread

6. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

May as well but if i can't help have look over at videohelp.com & if nothing there try creating a new topic here or there

7. Brimorton116

I downloaded movies again from Youtube, this time there is a haze coving movie, picture attached

Thank you

Attached Files:

8. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

That looks like glare shining off something back into the camera as it appears centered & not across the whole vid.You could try adjusting the players brightness & contrast settings however any video that is poorly recorded will still be crap..lol..

9. Brimorton116

LOL your right, I received a warning from the local cable company about downloading so i am forced to use You tube, thanks for your scorp

10. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Try using a vpn that should mask your ip address assuming the isp got info from an outside source that had traced your ip.

11. dp70

dp70 Member

I examined you image, the geometry of the frame is OK. Motion pictures use different aspect ratios.
    before sound it was 1.33:1 / Sound 1.37:1 / Early CinemaScope 2.55:1 ( sound was on full coat mag film synced by dubber) Then Fox added mag striping ( early mag striping used to come off the film on the floor of the booth- a glue thing) the mag striping with a half-size optical track changed to 2.35:1- Mike Todd came along with 70mm film, giving an image of 2.21:1 - MGM played around with a 1.25 compression on 70mm film starting with Raintree County, the Ben-Hur that a/r was 2.76:1- later Cinerama used Ultra Panavision 70 for f/x in How the West Was Won and with Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World- they changed to 70mm - the last UPV 70 was Khartoum 1965 - until Tarantino made Hateful 8, utilizing Ultra Panavision-

Tarantino got to see the chariot race in Ben-Hur in Ultra Panavision 70 - the rest is history.

It depends on what aspect ratio the DP and Producers wanted---and HDTV is 1.77:1 --- the greatest eyeball affront I suffered was Sound of Music in "digital" projection- the 2.21 Todd-AO image was butchered into HDTV format -

While on the topic- 4K digital under the best of circumstances, approaches 35mm film in resolution. When a wide screen format is used- less resolution- same number of pixels, just stretched.

The old TV screens used 1.33- this was abandoned by Hollywood in 1953-. People with old TV used to opine they were not getting the full picture -when the pan and scan was a 60% of the original width with less resolution.

I have a lifetime of experience in projection and sound systems- I own 3 Philips / Norelco AA-II 35/70 projectors and still run 70mm titles for friends.

If you require further info, feel free to ask.

dp70

12. Brimorton116

Hi Scorp

Its not worth risking using Utorrent , my landlord is the one paying the cable bill and receiving the bill, there are many other ways to download for free Crackle etc, I figured it was glare like a cam copy , I am going to start using a streaming service, I will close the thread
    Thanks again

Dan

13. Brimorton116

How do i make this solved

14. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

You don't.If it's possible just edit the title by placing the word solved at the end then usubscribe

15. Brimorton116

Ok thanks

16. Brimorton116