1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Movies Skip On DVD Player

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by littlej, Oct 7, 2003.

1. littlej

littlej Member

Hi I have a samsung DVD Player that plays everything including VCD's. But after a while they start to skip tooo. At first i thought the problem was that i was burning it too fast but then i burned it at 4X but i still skips. I use nero 5 to burn VCD's. Is it my DVD player or is it that i;m doing somethin wrong....

2. flanman

flanman Member

What model do you have? I bought one recently that is having same problems with burn DVD-r. Will play fine until last 2-3 chapters then starts skipping and freezing. I can play the DVD-r on different DVD player (apex) and computer fine. I believe my model is the 6060 and is very slim silver design.

3. littlej

littlej Member

That is the same one i have, And i have the same problem it only skips or freezes when the movies is about to end. Is it the DVD player or some other problem

4. flanman

flanman Member

I thought it was the media. I have used Ritek G4 and Memorex 4X (not imitations). I can play the DVD fine on PC and also on a very cheap Apex DVD player. I am having some TDK media delivered today. I will update in the next day or two after burning. If I have the same problem I may have to look at a different player. I cannot undersand why it plays fine until the last 15 minutes or so.

5. littlej

littlej Member

I Used Fuji Film media. My Dvd Player original dvds just fine i have never had a problem with it playing Dvd, or DVDR but when i put in VCDS it starts to freeze at the end. My friend Gave me SVCD and it has never skipped..

6. flanman

flanman Member

I received the TDK 2x DVD-r media today from staples. I have burned 3 movies. One new and tow that had problems. All three play great in the Samsung player now. I am guessing that the Samsung 6060 DVD player has problems with some cheaper media that maybe has problems near the outer edges where the end of the burn is. Now I have to fine someone to buy my 75 or so memorex 4x DVD-r. BTW Staples had the TDK 10 pack of DVD-R 2x on sale for 14.95 with no shipping. I just ordered 4 more packs.

7. lawtyler

lawtyler Member

I am having the same problem.

I use DVD+R, but the same symptoms, DVD movies skipping and freezing near the end of the disc.

It seems to occur only those I duplicated using NERO or Roxio, not the originals I created from Studio 8. I would create all the copies from Studio 8 except it is so buggy, that it will burn only one copy even though I specified several. The subsequent copies it burn will only burn for a few seconds and then stop and said it is done, and render unsable the DVD+r blank. Pinnacle is not addressing the problem. If I know then what I know now, I would stay away from Studio 8, despite its fancy features. Sorry for the whinning.

Back to the subject, the skipping and freezing seems to be prevelent on my old Phillips player, many many years old, and much less on a cheapy Cyberhome I just gotten for testing, and not so far on a Sanyo and a Pioneer 5-disc player.

Also, it need to play for a long time, like an hour, before it start doing it. Perhaps the player needs to be physically hot.

And it happened on my cheapy media, 25-pack Fujifilm and 50-pack CompUSA, both about $1.60 each. The Fujifilm has rough edges, uneven on some portion of the parimeter than others. The CompUSA is more smooth, but feels funny, like some places thicker than others. Fujifilm was the worst.

Right now I am using some old Imation I have gotten some time ago at $2 a piece 25-pack. It does not have any skipping and freezing problem despite all my tests, and the edge is smooth and even. $2, which is why I went for cheaper, turned out to be "badder" disc. Well, my local store is selling the Imation cheap right now, at about $1.30 each 25-pack, I am really tempted to just clean them out (several hundred pieces). But I better wait and see if my customers complain (about the Imation).

It looks right now to be a compbination of the outer edge of the disc and the player. The older and cheaper the player, the rougher and more uneven the disc, the more likelihood of skipping and freezing. I had thought the disc is written from the outside in, like old vinyl records, but somebody here said inside out, which makes more sense.

As the data gets further away from the center, the uneven edge will have more effect, making it harder to align the read head or whatever. Am I wrong?

Well, I got about 100 "bad" disc, guess will use them for small projects, like 20-minute deals.

8. jonnydoe.

jonnydoe. Member

I'm using a Samsung s224 which has chapter pauses and occasional freezes. This, I understand is quite common on Samsungs. I am now buying a PLU2 128x progressive scan player from Germany as I heard it plays anything and everything fine. I'll let you know how it does.. The media isn't always to blame, as long as you've got ritek or verbatim you can elimate that possibility..

9. littlej

littlej Member

For Me i thinks that its my media because when i play the movies on my computer it frezzes close to the point where it froze in my dvd player. I was using fujifilm media but then i switched to maxell. But they both freeze. I also wanted to knoe which media shud i use since fuji and maxell dont work. I've heard memorex is preety good i did one movie on it and it hasnt skipped yet. But if theres any other media out there cud u plez let me knoe.

10. flanman

flanman Member

I think the media has a lot to do with it. I had a Panasonic PV65 proscan DVD player before my Samsung. I was having same problems and it would not even play the Memorex 4X I have had. So far the TDK 2x have worked great for me. I have use the ritek 2 and 4 times DVD-r and still had the problems with outer layer skipping.

11. jonnydoe.

jonnydoe. Member

Yeah but what I'm saying is that some decent players will play any old crap.

12. JEREMY123

JEREMY123 Member

I have had the problem to. THIS IS WHAT THE PROBLEM IS. DVD-R USES ALOT MORE I GUESS YOU CAN SAY RESOURCES ON YOUR DVD PLAYERS MOTHERBOARD AND MAKES IT EXTEMLY HOT. PLAY A REGULAR DVD FEEL HOW HOT IT IS AND THEN PLAY A DVD-R. IT WILL BE VERY HOT. THE REASON IT SKIPS IS BECAUSE IT'S OVERHEATING AND NOT CAUSE IT TO PROCESS INFORMATION AS GOOD. TRY PUTING A COOLING FAN IN IT OR TAKE THE COVER OF AND PUT A SMALL FAN OVER IT. I AM ALMOST CERTAIN THIS WILL CORRECT THE SKIPING PROBLEMS OF YOUR DVD PLAYERS. I DONE THIS NOW IN OVER 5 DVD PLAYERS AND IT WORKED EVERYTIME!

13. JEREMY123

JEREMY123 Member

Oh one more thing I forgot to say, Please if you do this let me know how it goes. thanks

14. dcrosby1

dcrosby1 Member

Hi all,

Im kind of having a similar problem and was wondering if anyone knew how to remedy the problem.

I bought a 10 pack of Maxell 4x dvd-r and was using dvdshrink and then nero 6 to burn. The dvd's played perfectly in my cheap symphonic dvd/vhs combo player, somputer dvd drive and in the ps2 machine but then being put in my panasonic dvd-rv32 player (which is the main one in my house) it skips and jumps and makes those crappy sounds, but not at the end, but basically throughout!

I was told that dvd players can be picky with media and I was also told that the Ritek dvd-r is a really good brand for cheap. But I got my 50pk today and the same problem in my Panasonic but not in the others!

What does anyone suggest?

Donna

15. drchips

drchips Active member

Hiya Donna,

you still having problems with your Panasonic, I see.

Possible reason for it:

You have had it for a while now, and the laser lens has probably got a layer of gunge (technical term) on it from airborne pollution (I am not being critical, airborne pollution is a fact of life).

You could try a DVD Lens Cleaner Disk (please DON'T use one meant only for CD's), you may get lucky with a few cleaning cycles.

Otherwise it means opening the player casing and cleaning the lens VERY CAREFULLY.

You need:
    4 CLEAN Q-TIPS.
    Small amount of PURE ALCOHOL (not whiskey, vodka etc)

Very carefully wipe the lens assembly with a Q-Tip with a SMALL amount of alcohol on it.
    Very carefully polish it with the OTHER Q-Tip (dry)
    Repeat the whole thing ONCE more.

A second possibility is as JEREMY123 tried to point out, overheating: though not for quite the reasons he said, and maybe not relevant in your case.

DVD Recordable media have a much lower reflective co-efficient than pressed (silver) DVD's, this means that less of the laser light is reflected back from the dye layer.

As a result, it can be difficult for the player to read the disk properly, resulting in multiple reads & retrys to get the data - the disk spins quicker, the laser works harder and everything gets HOTTER.

When things (plastic DVD disk) get hotter, they EXPAND.
    This can cause tracking errors.

Have a read through this page:
    http://www.videointerchange.com/dvd.htm

Give the cleaning a good go.
    Burn the DVD-R at 2 speed ONLY.
    Then let us know how you got on.

Have Fun...

16. ceja_11

ceja_11 Regular member

Hi all,

I also have a dvd player that freezes my movies because it overheats. Now has anyone try making air vents for it, because my dvd unit does not carry any, its a G.E digital kind of old..., But anyway i'm thinking of making airvents with drillbits see hows that going to come out, but if anyone has any ideas please let me know....

Cheers

Rick.C

Last edited: Jan 22, 2004
  17. drchips

drchips Active member

Hiya ceja_11,

I have modified my players in this manner:

You will find the internal power supply will provide some voltages that are switched when the remote control switches the unit on/off.

Locate an existing ventilation grille and choose a fan that will fit over it (ideal fans are 40 & 60mm fans from CPU Coolers).

Tap into a switched power-line, and insert a reed relay rated to the correct voltage.

The reed relay is used to switch either 5V or 12V to control the fan (5V slow/quiet - 12V fast/noisy).

The small amount of forced air movement will drop the internal temperature considerably.

To maximise air-flow at 5V, the existing grille can be cut out to the size of the fan and a wire grille can be placed.

Have Fun....