1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

.mp2 and Premiere

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by tgalaj, Sep 30, 2002.

1. tgalaj

tgalaj Member

I captured the VHS recording (using ATI's "All-In-Wonder 128 Pro"). The output is in form of ".mp2".
    I need to edit this video (and audio) using Premiere 6. The output from Premiere (.avi) I will de-mux and will create my own DVD.
    Two questions:
    1. Is there a way to import .mp2 file into Premiere?
    2. Is there a program that would convert my .mp2 into .avi?

Hope to get answers... Thanks in advance!

2. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

You should be able to import an m2p file into Premiere if you have an mpeg2 codec (like Ligos) installed, but you'll end up going mad editing mpeg2 video in Premiere. The small number of keyframes makes editing a very unpleasant experience. Do yourrself a favour and export to avi before editing it.

3. tgalaj

tgalaj Member

.m2p would be fine, but its .mp2!!!

4. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

The .mp2 file is probably just a program stream (multiplexed video+audio). Anyway, rename the file to .mpg. My Premiere 6.0 doesn't like any other extensions, like .mpv, .mpa, .mp2, etc.

5. VCDjunkie

VCDjunkie Moderator Staff Member

just a thought, why convert to .avi and then to dvd? seems like an extra step if you already have .mp2.. I would take jnihil's advice and just rename the extention .mp2 to .mpg

FYI, you can do this with any .mpv, .mpa, etc.. and if it's an .mpa file, you can play it back in media player and just hear the audio, .mpv renamed to .mpg will play back in media but only have video.. etc. The extention only helps us, the users, to distinguish between the demuxed files without having to open them.. the software doesn't know the difference between them.. or at least that has been my experience with them.. (anybody that knows more than me can feel free to correct me)

hope this helps.

6. dvs1

dvs1 Guest

i use a mirc program to download rar files, then i extract them and get a bin/cue file. then i convert bin/cue to mpeg. then i burn with nero. that is until yesterday. now when i convert bin/cue to mpeg it makes like several mpegs. one will play like a normal mpeg and the others will not. i think the extension is called mpv2. how can i make this to a mpeg format nero recognizes and why all of a sudden is this happening. i used to get 2 bin/cue files and then 2 mpegs. part 1 and part 2. now it is not like that. PLEASE HELP ME!!!

the dvs1