1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mpeg1 to dvd

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by jparx, Jun 8, 2004.

1. jparx

jparx Member

I have several hundred mpg (mpeg1) files. They average 63 megs apiece. Converting these files to dvd format would take an awful amount of time. They all play with my dvd player on vcds. Can I just drag and drop them using Roxie drag to disc. Would they still play on my dvd player.

In other words, can I use a DVD-R like a CD?

Thnax,

jparx

2. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

I can't really say about Roxio since I avoid anything they make like the plague (but I've seen complaints from others that it always re-encodes), but since VCD video is already DVD compliant, as long as that's the resolution they have you can certainly make a DVD from them without re-encoding the video. I'd recommend downloading the trial version of DVD-Lab to do it with. All you have to do is import each file and let it make the audio DVD compliant. Even if you want to use a different program to author with this will give you the DVD compliant source files you need.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life
    Backup A DVD With DVD Rebuilder & CCE Basic: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd_rebuilder_tutorial.cfm[/small]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2004
  3. jparx

jparx Member

Thank you for your prompt answer. I had posted this question on the advanced forum by mistake and got no reply.

So the only difference between vcd and dvd is the audio. I only mentioned roxie because it was bundled with my plextor burner. I have the trial version of tmpgencdvdauthor and have burned one dvd with 4 movies that are 4 gigs.

I have burned hundreds of vcds with nero 5 and have had not one coaster.

I have read some postings on this site and saw a recommendation to demux a mpeg1 file and then encode it in tmpgencdvd to speed up the process.

My problem is that I have about 600 old cartoons in mpeg1 format and hoped there was some way to convert them quickly to dvd. I calculated that I could get about 60 to a dvd. Right now they are on about 60 vcds and 10 dvds would solve my storage problems.

Thanks again,

jparx

4. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

No problem. Let us know how it goes.