1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mpeg2avi with vitualdub

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by diablo, Oct 1, 2003.

1. diablo

diablo Guest

i got an mpeg 3.4mb and need to shrink it down to under 2mb so i can email it thru hotmail.. im using virtualdub but i cant get it under 2mb, it always goes above 40mb...
    i figured changing it to an avi would shrink it down but its not. what am i setting up wrong in virtualdub? how can i get it under two mb to email?

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

The reason why you are getting Such a Large size is because you did not choose any Compression for the AVI file..If you do not choose a Compression codec then the AVI file will be Uncompressed which can be up to 1gb per minute of AVI..So under the "Video" Settings choose "Full proscessing Mode" then go to "Compression" and choose something Like DivX or Mpeg-4 and set the Bitrate low enough to were the File is small enough but the Quality isn"t bad, you will have to experiment on your Own for this....Then under "Audio" set it to "Full processing Mode" and then choose" compression" then choose a Codec like "Mp3" and use a Low Bitrate like 128kbs..Now just go to "file" to Save AVI" and give the File a Name and it will make an AVI file for you that should be Quite small....Cheers

3. diablo

diablo Guest

i chose compression in video but i cant find divx or xvid codec in the list. i know i downloaded the divx codec to run divx video in windows explorer, why isnt it in the compression codec of video setting to pick it?

i also dont see the mp3 codec in the audio compression chioces?
    what am i missing here