1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MPG or AVI?

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by newdvuser, Apr 1, 2003.

1. newdvuser

newdvuser Member

hi,

im pretty new to this DV thing but i have a few questions. i am wanting to make my DV footage into a VCD but i've noticed that the ones that i've made so far dont look as good as they do when i play them on TV as they do directly from the camera. am i ripping the footage wrong? i use ulead video studio and then make a mpg file, then use nero to make the VCD.

is it better to make an AVI or an MPG?
    any help would be great! thanks in advance

2. malum

malum Regular member

This may be a case of the blind leading the blind as I am also new at this.

I capture in AVI as mpeg capture means that it keeps having to stop and reencode which results in lost frames.

I then edit and mess around in Ulead Video Studio followed by creating an SVCD in same.
    This looks great on TV so maybe VCD isn't high enough quality?

3. obieobied

obieobied Member

when you capture from DV it is captured as AVI.
    But if you want to burn it to CD to make it playable in a DVD Player, you HAVE to make it MPEG.
    Also, you are burning to VCD.
    VCD is not very good quality, so you're not encoding wrong. Though if you encode to SVCD you can get VERY good quality, at least in my experience.
    What you also gotta try it to use something different than Ulead Videostudio. I use Videostudio 6 to edit, then I render it in AVI.
    After i have my final file, i pop it in either TMPGenc or CinemaCraft Encoder (MPEG Encoders that produce MUCH better quality than videostudio)
    I choose for it to encode at 2x VBR mode, which will make the video better quality. Pop everything to high quality.
    And what a LOT of people forget, is to choose [bold]de-interlacing[/bold] Thats is very improtant, because you dont wanna spend hours encoding and then have to drop it into the recycle bin.
    When finished encoding to MPEG you will have a flawless (at least for me) looking SVCD.
    Though you must check first if your DVD Player supports SVCDs...