1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

.mpg to cd-r problems

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by Lux, Feb 26, 2003.

1. Lux

Lux Member

I searched, for two days through many sites, including this one for answers. I found similar problems but none with solutions that helped me with mine.
    I want to transfer my downloaded movie files that are in .mpg format to some cd-r disks.
    I have an HP 8200 external cd-writer.
    Nero doesn't work with this particular model, so I downloaded the patch that was supposed to make it work and copied it where I was supposed to and it still didn't work. It will go throguh all the motions and complete the process without actually burning the CD.
    I have downloaded and tried about 10 programs including Alcohol 120%, VCD Easy, Disc Juggler, and even TMPGEnc to try and convert them so could perhaps then burn them, all with the same results.
    I'm at my wit's end. I have searched these forums several times hoping to find a solution, so now I have to post a request for help in hopes I won't be reamed for askign the same question who's answer was right under my nose.
    Please Please Please help

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

First you should ask yourself what do you want.

1) a CD-ROM which can store your files
    2) a VCD that can be played on a VCD player or on a DVD unit.

If you want a plain CD-ROM backup (a CD-ROM that has some are .mpg files in it) you do not need to convert anything (except cutting the .mpg if it's larger than 700 MB). Any application that recognizes your burner will be good, selecting some option like 'Create CD-ROM'. Nero, Easy CD, for instance, are good. CDRWin is more tricky (you have to go to the 'File backup and tools' section, 4th button at startup. Do this if you're desperate). Backup applications like Alcohol, CloneCD ..., are defintely NOT good for that.

If you want to create a VCD, instead, you have to build a peculiar file/system structure for the disc. The procedure is properly done in two steps:
    1) Movie encoding/formatting (using TMPGEnc, for example);
    2) File burning in VIDEO-CD format (Nero is very good for that).

Ask more about that on the Video forum, if VCD is what you need; people is more experienced about that.
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/forum_view.cfm/40

3. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Or a dvd player that plays SVCD format. SVCD far better video quality than VCD.

Shoey