1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mpg to mpeg 4

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by dcski701, Apr 26, 2007.

1. dcski701

dcski701 Member

i have a pvr that gives me an output file of jpg. my dvd player says it will play divx, mpeg4, videos. What is the difference between mpg and mpeg4? If there is a differnce, which is a good converter? I tried to convert the jpg to divx and got audio out of sync issues using software from the divx site. I have been trying to convert the jpg to dvd format. It gives me audio out of sync using cucusoft avi to vcd dvd. Is mpg considered a avi file? I have been trying this for ever. any help would be greatly appreciated.All i want to do is let me kids watch some cartoons on the portable dvd player. thanks

2. attar

attar Senior member

Roughly:
    MPEG is a compression standard for video.
    MPEG-4 is an advanced compressor.
    DivX is a codec, used to COmpress and DECompress video
    DivX is often associated with MPEG-4
    AVI is a so called container.The container might contain video files compressed with DivX or Xvid codecs, etc.

Not clear on the output from the PVR, reference is made to 'JPG'??
    Download, unzip and run GSpot.
    http://www.headbands.com/gspot/v26x/GSpot270a.zip
    Drag the file you wish to convert onto the GSpot screen.
    Under 'Video' it lists the codec name used to make the file.
    Press button 1 then button 2 to play back the video.Check to see if it's in sync.
    [​IMG]

3. attar

attar Senior member

4. dcski701

dcski701 Member

mpg is the file extension i have on the output file from the pvr. it isn't mpeg. im not sure if that matters or not. does the corresponding codecs come with gspot? and the output file of gspot is a divx?

thanks so much for your help.

5. attar

attar Senior member

GSpot does not contain codecs.It is used to examine video files to determine the make up and codecs used to produce the file.
    This is a profile of an .mpg video file.
    Is your file similar.Does it use the MPEG1 codec.
    When you play your original file (before it was converted) is the sync ok??
    If the file is synced ok, I would convert it with AutoGordianKnot and then just copy the file to a DVD.You say your player will take DIVX.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2007
  6. dcski701

dcski701 Member

yes the jpg file is okay before i convert it. there are no sync issues with it while it is a jpg. If i use AutoGordianKnot-the output file will be a divx? i have 2 players, 1 will play divx, the other won't. what app would you recommend to convert directly to dvd format if i didn't want to convert to divx?
    thanks again

7. attar

attar Senior member

AutoGordianKnot will create a DIVX file from an MPEG file.

The DIVX file can copied to a DVD as a simple data file (does not have to be authored)and played in a DIVX capable player.

ConvertX can take an MPEG file, convert it to DVD format files, write it to a hard disk folder and optionally burn it to a DVD Disk.

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/vso_convertxtodvd_guide.cfm