1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multiple Disk Movies to (1) DL Disk

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Behr, Feb 26, 2005.

1. Behr

Behr Member

Hello.... Extream Newbie here; first post in any DVD copy forum.

I have a Lighton, DVD DL burner. I would like to back-up my LOR-Return of the King, extended version onto one Double Layer disk. I figure it would be about 90% uncompressed when all is said and done. I am stuck, however, after decrypting. I have the files in separate folders, but VOB files have the same file names. I'm not sure how to go about combining these files so that DVD shrink can burn them together on one disk. Is DVD Shrink even able to do something like this? Can I rename the disk two files to be able to combine then in the same folder (I would think this would be too simple to actually work).... Also, DVD shrink does not seam to recognize the DL media, and still seems to want to compress the files as if I was burning to standard DVD media (though I have not hit the 'Backup' button yet). I have Nero 6.6.0.6, DVD decrypter, and DVD shrink.

I am truely sorry if this has been discussed previously, but I was unable to find the appropriate thread(s) if it has.

Thank you for any and all answers or suggestions.

Behr

2. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

[​IMG]

also i am lost you have 2 dvds? is it the same film but an extras disc?

3. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

========DVD-9 -> DVD+R DL, Double layer to Double layer! (1:1)==========

Remove all discs from drives.

Open DVD Decrypter.

From the 'Mode' menu, select 'ISO' -> 'Read'.

Put DVD-9 disc in drive.

Take note of the 'Destination' file name.

Click the big 'Decrypt' button.

Take the DVD-9 disc out of the drive.

From the 'Mode' menu, select 'ISO' -> 'Write'.

Put a blank double layer disc in your DVD Writer.

Click the little folder icon - 'Browse for source file' - and select the MDS file created for you as part of the steps above.

Click the big 'Write' button.

Finished!

USE THE .MDS FILE IT CONTAINS THE LAYER BREAK INFO FOR BURNING!

Note: If your drive supports booktype / bit setting, remember to tell it to burn DVD+R DL discs as DVDROM. This will make them more compatible with players. The booktype / bit setting utility is accessed by clicking on the little 'book' icon when in ISO Write mode.

4. Behr

Behr Member

Thank you for the info so far!

The movie Lord of the Rings -Return of the King (Extended edition) is actually divided up on two disks. IOW, one would have to change disks to be able to watch the whole movie. The VOB files on each of these disks, however (and because they're not on the same disk), have the same name... There's a VTS_01_1.vob, VTS_01_2.vob, VTS_01_3.vob, etc.. on each disk (and in each folder after decryption), though the contents the these files are differnt, obviously, because they are showing different halves of the movie. I do not know how to go about combining these files of the same file names but differnt content to burn onto one DL disk.

I hope I have been able to explain my interpretation of the problem sufficiently.

Thank you for taking the time to help me with this problem,

Behr

5. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

so its like 2 dvd5 size dvds? or dvd9 size dvds?

ok dvd shrink will put both on! FACT!

click re-author tab and find first folder of part 1 and drag main movie from right to left

then find second folder of part 2 and drag that across from right to left!

DONT WORRY ON SAME NAMES SHRINK WILL SORT IT OUT!!!

guide here (animated very kool!)

http://www.dvdshrink.info/compilation.php

when clicking backup after both films in you will see settings to output to either NERO or DVD DECRYPTER

(((YOU WONT HAVE MENUS ON MAIN MOVIE DRAG OVER ONLY!!!)))

could be sneeky here? and add all first film part one and just MAIN MOVIE of part 2

then when you run film it may go all the way to end? with menu but all depends on size!!!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2005
  6. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

for my use please let me know size of both dvd parts! in gig

and also if you use the first part menu, did it all work with main movie second part? this is sort of new ground for all here and for me and future reference!!!

Thx...

7. Behr

Behr Member

Rotary,

Thank you for your help....

I am not sure, however, that you have addressed my problem with your last reply. I will need to decrypt (2) dvd disks to extract the information for (1) movie. If I decrypt the second disk to the same folder that the first disk was dycrypted to, will the program automaticlly rename the files of the second disk in succeeding order (or just over-write the files of the first disk)?

Still confused,
    Behr

8. Behr

Behr Member

Ok, I will try to keep you up-to-date on my progress...

-Behr

9. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

each disc to a separate folders! NOT SAME ONE!!

doing main movie only has no menu and just plays when loaded!

did you want menu?

got a feeling the full disc part 1 and main movie only part2 may not work?

may need to test on dvdrw!

may have to drag everything over to left side for first disc then put 2nd main movie in folder of 1st disc movie folder!

i know both main movie only will work! it will play one after the other!

10. Behr

Behr Member

Rotary,

On your link, I get the dreaded: "The page cannot be displayed".

Also, after I open Shrink and 'open file' on the first folder, the program grey's out the 'open file' option and I canot open another folder.

11. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

click re-author

which link wont load up?

12. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

main movie only

note how it adds 1 2 3 4 same file like VTS.o.o1.vob

[​IMG]

13. Behr

Behr Member

OK, next stumblinmg block; My Shrink 'DVD type' preferences do not give me the DVD9-8.5mg option.... only the DVD5 option and 'custom. If I use custum, what should I type in?

14. Behr

Behr Member

Ok, disreagard that last post... I've updated Shrink and now have the DVD9 option. Still working getting this done and will update when finished or stuck, whichever comes first. :)

-Behr

15. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

no probs, let us know how it went!

thx..

16. Behr

Behr Member

Ok, Got it all burned onto one DL DVD. The first 'half' was 2:07:33 (3,874MB) in length, and the second was 2:15:25 (4,249MB). This was a learning process that took me all day to get done with alot of help from Rotary. Thanks man!

One thing that I didn't understand, was that when I hit 'deep analysis' from the pull down menu (which took +- 90 minuts), I figured it would have went right to burning after it finished. But the deep analysis just finished and it still had to do the encoding process (which I had to manual start - another 60+ minutes) before the burn started. I had to wonder if the 'deep analysis' process even translated to the burn, as it seemed to just end with no explination afterwards. (anyone care to explain? Did I do it correcty?)

This was my first burn of a DL disk. The burn log said 'Burning layer one', and then, half way thru, 'Burning Layer Two'. That took me by surprise a bit, as I figured it would burn both at the same time. Finished product look great, though my Nero quality disk check froze up afte 3/4 of the way through with about a 40% score. Not the greatest. (I used Verbatum - MKM-001. I could not find that info on the disk quality page on this site. Anyone have any info on this disk?) I have not tried it again, though I will later tonight.

I did end up with a slight pause between 'halves' (about 2 seconds of black screen) before the second part started. I think this also translates to between layers, but I'm not 100% sure about that. There was some slight compression even on a DL disk!! (Now that's a LOOOONG movie!), but all in all, I very happy with the results. Any suggestions on how to ommit the pause?

If anyone has any questions, I will try to answer tham for you, but this wall very new to me as well.

Thanks again to the Forum and Rotary for all the help!

-Behr

Last edited: Feb 27, 2005
  17. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

so did you go for the main movie only????

and no menus kept?

great you got it all there ok! deep analysis is for heavy compression projects it helps get better quailty, if yours was slight i woundlt bother!

it does take 2 passes / analysis to get the best the app can muster, it doesnt say anything on screen but it is done! also if you tried to go deep analysis again it wouldnt let you as its done! thats a way of checking its in the files...

its sort of a drive by so it knows the best way when you hit backup!

what app said this part?

[bold]The burn log said 'Burning layer one', and then, half way thru, 'Burning Layer Two'[/bold]

also i am not sure about the pause on the layer break of the dual layer disc or it was the second part of the movie? INTERESTING???

could you list all the files that are on your dual layer disc now for me please?

also you can check if the pause was the vobs or the layer break! open the vobs in "powerdvd" or "windows medis player" one by one and find the end of first disc and start of second part of film, if the pause is at that piont when playing that one vob then you know! it collates to the break in film

now if the pause isnt the break between first and second part of film, i know a way to get over this (main movie only)!

but if it is the layer break then i am not sure.

dont forget to list those file here!

and the bad testing at 40% may be media / disc used? although you know it plays ok! so may be a combination of hardware/software and standalone player?

18. Behr

Behr Member

Yes, I did burn the main movies only. No menus kept.

Thanks for the info on the deep analysis. my compression was only slight, but I wanted the best image I could get for this particular movie, so that's why I did the deep analysis (that's the story I'm going with! ;-)

The application that said: [bold]'Burning layer one', and then, half way thru, 'Burning Layer Two'[/bold] was the nero log that Shrink prompts during the burn. Here are the files that are on the DL disk: (There are two folders, one titled "AUDIO_TS" with is empty, and the other: "VIDEO_TS" with has the following files:....actually, I guess I can't show you because I can't copy and paste a 'print screen' for some reason like you did (and I don't paricularly feel like typing out all of those file names and their info tonight... what's up with that?

BTW, I checked and the pause happens between the film 'halves'. I think it recorded the film as if it was recording two separate movies rather than joining one continuous film, but it's something I'll get over!

Let me know if you can figure a way to copy images to this forum so I can show you the files on the disk.

Thanks again, and let me know if you need any other info...

-Behr

19. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

those files i was looking to see if they ran consecly!

you should have a couple of ifo bup extension files

VIDEO_TS.BUP
    VIDEO_TS.IFO
    VTS_01_0.BUP
    VTS_01_0.IFO

VTS_01_1.VOB
    VTS_01_2.VOB
    VTS_01_3.VOB
    VTS_01_4.VOB
    VTS_01_5.VOB
    VTS_01_6.VOB
    VTS_01_7.VOB

like this (does yours look like this???????)

also if you say its the film itself that has the blackscreen is it present on the original vobs? if so this can be cropped out with dvd shrink very easily indeed!

-------------------------
    putting pictures to afterdawn..

what ever is on your desktop now, if you cliclk the button PRINT SCREEN on your keyboard above the delete button it captures the desktop, i load to paint and crop it smaller then upload to a server then you must make a link URL for it on this thread! the link URL tags that go infront and after can be seen when you click reply to a thread they are above the box you type in!

-------------------------

Last edited: Feb 27, 2005
  20. Behr

Behr Member

Ok, here's what I have:

VIDEO_TS.BUP
    VIDEO_TS.IFO
    VTS_01_0.BUP
    VTS_01_0.IFO
    VTS_01_1.VOB
    VTS_O1_2.VOB
    VTS_01_3.VOB
    VTS_01_4.VOB
    VTS_02_0.BUP
    VTS_02_0.IFO
    VTS_02_1.VOB
    VTS_O2_2.VOB
    VTS_02_3.VOB
    VTS_02_4.VOB
    VTS_02_5.VOB

Ok, I checked, and *there is* about 5 or 6 seconds of black screen at the end of VOB_01_4. I suppose editing that out would solve the problem. (what program would you use for that?) I was thinking that since the files were divided up with (1)' and (2)'s, that the program automatically made them 2 separate movies. I doubt I'll burn another $10.00 DL disk just to find out or remove the 6 seconds.... for now anyway. But that'll definately be one movie file I don't delete in case I decide to at a later date.

Thanks again Rotary, for all the help. Let me know if you have any more info you'd like me to post....

-Behr