1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My back-up DVD locks up...my original doesn't? Labels?

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by ohyardman, Dec 18, 2004.

1. ohyardman

ohyardman Guest

I back-up my original DVDs. I never have a problem with DVDs labelled with a felt-tip pen. However, DVDs labelled with paper labels seem to have an alarming failure rate.

The DVD with the paper label will be running along fine, then "lock-up" on a scene (during playback). After a few seconds, it will move forward again for a few seconds, then lock up permanently.

I have a sneaking suspiscion that the "labels are to blame"! Can some Forum members cnfirm...or suggest other solutions.

Thanks!

2. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I think you will find that having labels is the problem. If they are applied incorrectly they will make the dvd imbalanced, if the glue fails (due to heat) it will lift off the disc, and hey presto you now have your dvd drive clogged up with paper & glue!
    Most here do not recommend labels.
    I prefer a marker pen it is quicker & a lot safer!

3. colw

colw Active member

Agree with pulsar - the use of labels on burnt DVD's will eventually lead to playback problems.

Safer and advisable not to use labels.

4. ohyardman

ohyardman Guest

Thanks for your input. Here's a follow-up: Virtually all the backup DVDs with self-adhesive labels won't run whereas all DVDs WITHOUT labels run perfectly.

Another thought...Are some stand-alone players more sensitive to DVDs with labels than others? I have a cheap APEX stand-alone player with Progressive scan.

Either way...I'm done with labels.

5. colw

colw Active member

Wise decision.

Different brands of standalones do appear to have differing sensitivities to different types of media. I've experienced more reliality with cheaper no name players compared with branded more expensive ones.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2004