1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My computer shuts down~Help?!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by TotalMiLF, Jan 15, 2007.

1. TotalMiLF

TotalMiLF Member

Hi all, and thank you in advance for any words of wisdom.

In the middle of shrink, my computer was powering down all of a sudden. I have searched the forums and guides and I decided to try a couple of different things (see below).

I d/l registry cleaner and did steps offered by other posters. I ended up having to do system restore because at one point, the computer wouldnt power up to windows (kept going to a black screen). Now that Im back up, I have tried shrink again, anydvd/clonedvd trials, and was set on buying if my computer made it through the process.

It didnt make it. No matter what movie I do, half way through shrink, and now even half way through clonedvd, the computer continues to blink off.

My computer is an Acer Aspire laptop, and I have no problem burning (I made an audio CD and burned a few mins ago).

Please let me know what further info I can provide for you to help me diagnose this problem (hardware?). WIthout being able to backup my personal DVDs, Ima gonna die! :eek:)

2. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

TotalMiLF,
    Welcome to the forum. If the computer is turning off during the transcoding then I'll bet it is due to Heat. Laptops are not the best thing to use when you do a movie as they are prone to overheating. Since you really can not add any more fans to the inside then you will have to use a Coolpad to help keep the computer w/in the normal temps hopefully. If you exceed a certain temp Windows will shut the computer off to save the Computer from frying the components.

Audio CD's do not tax the CPU like Shrink or CloneDVD do so the temps will be w/in the approved range.

You can run a Memtest( you can google for Memtest86) as that will tax your system to the Max. If it shuts off using that test then either the fan on the inside of the computer is bad or you really need the Coolpad. If it does not fail doing that test then there is some other problem w/ the PC

3. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

One possibility is that the laptop is overheating during the computation intensive encoding phase. What processor does the laptop have? Are you backing up the main title or the entire disk? Have you tried shutting the laptop off overnight and then trying to use Shrink/Recode the first thing after starting up the next day? Do you get any further along in the process?

4. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

TotalMiLF,
    I meant to ask this: Is Shrink shutting down while it is analyzing or while it is transcoding

Last edited: Jan 15, 2007
  5. TotalMiLF

TotalMiLF Member

Car.Mike, it blinks off when I am transcoding. It does well analyzing. I will try the memtest. I saw that blinkie recommended a cooling pad, as well. I will look for one asap.

Laddyboy, I actually did try doing it first thing upon powering up this morning, and it blinked out. I normally try to reauthor so I can cut out a lot of credits and screens I dont want.

I am so NOT computer savvy...please tell me how to get the info you need. I have learned as much as I know by reading here (which is a lot more than what I did know!) *chuckle*

6. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

I was just inquiring whether you had a processor like a Pentium or Athlon that had its own independent computation component or one that relies on the main processor for all computations. The latter type of processor has to work much harder than the former. The processor in your system can be found as follows:

Control Panels > System > General tab > under the heading Computer:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2007
  7. mackdl

mackdl Regular member

I'm keeping an eye on this thread. Thanks TotalMilF for starting this thread as I, also have much to learn.

Car.Mike, the memtest....I take that is with the laptop plugged into an a/c outlet? Of course, with burning you need to plug into an outlet and not off the battery. You have always given me good advice in the past and I pay particular attention to your posts.

I think you are right about laptops not being the best for burning dvds. My son freaked when he saw I put my burning programs on ours. Sheesh, I hate getting scolded! LOL He said much better to be "watching dvds" and perhaps the "occasional" burn. Not much air circulation. As with burning on a desktop computer, I sure would wait for my system to cool down before starting anew. That's probably why my 4X burner is still working after almost 3 years of constant use? My desktop computer fans are really awhirling whenever I backup my dvds.

Laddyboy, does that apply to 2.0 ghz Turion 64 (not 2x) processors? I've searched for some information, any good sites comparing different processors?

8. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

mackdl,
    Most definitely w/ the computer plugged in as the laptop battery would run out of power in about 1 hour. I have a coolpad for the wife's laptop and it is not that loud. It just removes the air from under the computer and blows it ou the side of the coolpad. All of the burning I have ever done on that computer is a CD. If I remember correctly they are not that expensive anymore so you might look into one so the Son would not "Scold you" anymore. LOL

9. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

The Athlons are the full-powered processors with math advantages. The Turion is probably OK for the most part. The Semperon would likely heat up a little doing the math. Most of the laptop processors will be a little less math efficient compared to desktop processors to conserve energy use.

Here's a link to the AMD site you can leapfrog from:

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cach...nce&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=2&client=firefox-a

I have an Athlon 64 in my lappy that doesn't mind encoding at all. The Celeron in my other laptop isn't crazy about encoding so I don't subject it to doing the task.

10. Smurfs7

Smurfs7 Guest

Maybe your computer can't play movie or somthing...If this is not true try calling GEEKS TO GO they helped me get my Xbox Live to work and fixed my computer like 4 times I'm sure you can get there number somewhere though I don't remember...But GOOD LUCK!!!!

11. TotalMiLF

TotalMiLF Member

Here's what I found on my system

AMD Turion 64 mobile
    792MHz, 960 MB of RAM
    1 GB

I tried again this morning fresh and it did fine with an older movie. I stopped and went to work. When i came back, I tried Hustle & Flow and it blinked off. So frustrating!

Thank you guys for all the helpful info. I think i will purchase a cooling pad, even if I cant burn on my machine.

Another question I have, and I could go digging, but thought Id ask y'all while Ive got your attention :eek:) I still keep seeing DVD Decrypter being recommended, but its not available anymore. It links to AnyDVD....is it the same? I was never able to get the older DVD Decrypter.

12. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

TotalMiLF,
    You can get DVDDecrypter at the site below. AnyDVD is different and that proggy costs $. You can try Ripit4Me or DVDFAB Decrypter as they both are free

http://www.mrbass.org/dvdrip/

13. TotalMiLF

TotalMiLF Member

Car.Mike, is there a way around this for me? I read somewhere that you dont have to shrink if the movie is small enough to fit on disk. Is this true? How would I do that? Could I analyze it in Shrink to see if it will fit? Then, open Nero burning Rom....and what? *desperate*

Im trying to find a way around Shrink~~~is it possible?

14. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

@TotalMiLF

Did you try Nero Recode or ShrinkTo5 just to make sure it wasn't a quirk in DVD Shrink.

http://filehippo.com/download_shrinkto5/
    http://www.nero.com/nero7/enu/nero7-demo.php

There is also a virus around that randomly shuts off computers. Does your system just shutdown with Shrink or does it also shutdown with other programs.

If the movie comes on a SL disk, you can burn it after ripping with ImgBurn, DVD Decrypter, or any other burning program to another SL disk. You can check the disk size with Windows or any of the ripping programs.

15. TotalMiLF

TotalMiLF Member

So far, it has shut down with Shrink, and it shut down with CloneDVd once.

I will go investigate and try it with the proggies you mentioned, Laddyboy....Thank you!!!!

16. TotalMiLF

TotalMiLF Member

Just wanted to update y'all. I did registry cleaner and got a cooling pad for my laptop and it works perfectly!!

Thank you all for your suggestions!!