1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My drive has stopped reading CD's and now only plays DVD's-- any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by BillyZ, Nov 13, 2004.

1. BillyZ

BillyZ Member

I have a dvd rw drive that I use- lately i have been backing up many of my dvd's with DVD Shrink, that works fine. The problem is that last night I inserted an audio CD into the drive and it doesn't recognize it, it shows nothing- that the drive is empty, I tried a different CD, and still no~go, I repeated this process about 5 times then inserted a DVD which worked fine. I gave up. It has worked fine in the past, I use it to add songs to my HD so I can put them on my Ipod, never have I had a problem. I am using Windows XP Pro. Also I went to the device manager it shows its working properly. I searched for a driver update and that came back I have the most current. Can anyone help or offer some suggestions...any ideas will be greatly appreciated. thanks bill

2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

you could always try deleting the driver from device manager, then restart your computer and let XP re-install it, and see if it works. If not, try installing it in another computer, to determine if its a hardware or software issue.

3. djscoop

djscoop Active member

you could also see if the firmware needs updating on your drive. I doubt that would be the problem, but it couldn't hurt trying