1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My laptop doesn't go into sleep mode anymore??

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by myf, Aug 29, 2007.

1. myf

myf Member

Hi,
    I have a packard bell notepad. When i used to close the lid or leave it for a long while my laptop would go into sleepmode/standby/hibernate.. I'm not sure of the correct term. I have sinced noticed it doesn't do this anymore. After my screen saver has been on a while it just goes back to my desktop and stays like that and if i close the lid it just carries on running. I have checked in the power settings and it is actually set "to do nothing" when i close the lid.. but when i click the drop down button it will not give me any other option. Any help much appreciated. Thanks.

2. basquiat

basquiat Regular member

i think in poer options you need to have hibernate enabled...i remember having to do this to get the options under "what to do when close lid"....there should be a hibernate tab look under that.

3. myf

myf Member

I did see something about a hiberate function in another thread but i do not have a hibernate tab in my power settings??? Thanks.

4. basquiat

basquiat Regular member

check around your bios settings for anything to do with hibernation, and look through all your devices in device manager and make sure all devices have drivers installed without problems...other than that i dont know, hopefully someone else can help you more.

5. myf

myf Member

Ok, thanks for your help! I checked my drivers. They are all working correctly. I am not sure about the bios settings though. I had a look at them but didn't see anything about hibernation.. Do i need to look in something specific? Also i noticed that when i click turn off computer and it gives you the 3 options.. turn off, restart or standby.. it does not let me pick the standby option there either.. Does that maybe mean anything?? Thanks again!

6. LDee

LDee Regular member

When you go to device manager (hold windows key and press pause/break, go to hardware tab, then device manager) under the "Computer" entry at the top, does it say "ACPI Compliant PC" or something similar? Or does it say "Standard PC"? If "standard" you need to install acpi compliant drivers on your machine so you can use power functions like standby.

Go here to find easy instructions (it's for windows 2000 but should be the same):
    http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/ArticleID/15299/15299.html

An alternative that usually works is to go to the manufacturers website and download the latest motherboard drivers for your laptop and install them. You should probably do this first if you havent updated the motherboard drivers for a while (or ever) as it will have the added advantage of getting your drivers updated and potentially making your system run better.

7. myf

myf Member

Hi thanks for your help.. Under computer in my device manager it does say "advanced configuration and power interface (acpi) pc".. My laptop is an packard bell easynote e2316. I went onto the packard bell website to update drivers. However i was not completely sure which was to update my motherboard.. There are bios updates.. Would it be one of them? Also i have checked my bios for any power options and can not find anything in there to do with power options and lastly when i click start>turn off computer i only get the turn off or restart options the standby button has become transparent and i can not click it.. Not sure if this means anything. Thanks again for your help. Charlie.

8. LDee

LDee Regular member

Hello, there should be chipset drivers and bios drivers for your laptop on the manufacturers website, update both and then lets see what happens. Be very careful when updating the bios, make sure no programs are running and follow the (simple) instrucions carefully, the process must not be interupted (make sure you have the laptop plugged into the charger).

It's a bit strange that you have "acpi pc" in device manage yet still do not have the advanced power options, hmmm. Just update the bios and the chipset drivers for your motherboard for now. The standby button being unavailable is a symptom of not having acpi drivers for your motherboard, obviouly this is strange in your case since device manager is telling you that you do have acpi drivers installed. Perhaps they have become corrupted somehow and non functional.

9. LDee

LDee Regular member

Which version of the bios are you currently on?

10. myf

myf Member

Hi there. I am not that clued up on the bios setings but i believe i am currently on version 1.11 I have been trying to update from the packard bell website but i keep getting a undefined error.. I don't really know what to do about that.. I can not see anything on chipset drivers though. This is the link for all the updates for my laptop.. http://support.packardbell.com/uk/item/?sn=292813310234&g=2000
    Thanks for your help..

11. LDee

LDee Regular member

It looks like you have the most up to date bios and you have acpi going on but for some reason you have no hibernate tab or standby option.

The only other thing I can think of is that you have some group policy settings applied to your machine or user account that are disabling hibernate and standby, this could have possibly been done by spyware. To check if it's a group policy thing go to start>run type "gpedit.msc" right click on local computer policy at the top, click properties and check both boxes to disable both computer and user settings. Reboot your machine and then check it if's still happening. If it is still happening go back to gpedit.msc and undo the checks. If it is not still happening post back here and say so.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Is hibernation enabled?
    Start->control panel-> power options -> Hibernate tab -> enable hibernation.

13. LDee

LDee Regular member

He doesn't have a hibernate tab.

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

My bad, just spotted that part of the thread.

Just to check, it doesn't run windows 2000 does it? I know there can sometimes be problems with 2000 and hibernation.

Perhaps some info in here sheds light on the issue:
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_standby.htm

15. myf

myf Member

Hello again.. Firstly i am running xp home (version 2002) sp2. The link posted by sammorris was good but didn't work.. Thanks.
    Secondly. The group policy thing.. I had come across this on my many searches on my problem but when i type gpedit.msc in run i just get a error message saying windows can not find gpedit.msc make sure you typed it correctly and try again.. (lastly, not that it matters but i see someone refered to me as a he.. I am a she :))
    Thanks again to everyones help!!

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

As far as I know, that service is only for XP professional, Home doesn't have it...
    I'm afraid to say I'm stumped... :-(

17. LDee

LDee Regular member

Hey I'm sorry for assuming you were a he, that's my sexist conditioned preconceptions.

I am also stumped and have no idea now why this is happening, since I'm used to xp pro I thought we could check group policy with gpedit but yes it's not in home edition.

I tried to download your bios and make a cd myself then I could have given you the image for yourself but I am also getting the error with code -2147023116 and can find no reference to it on packard bells website or google, great.

Someone I asked speculated that spyware could be using group policy to force the system to stay online. Perhaps it could be doing this but with a different method other than group policy. Do you have anti-spyware measures? If so, what are they?

Could you go here and download and install spybot s&d if you haven't already (click on any of the "download here" buttons):

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html

By the way, when installing I would uncheck the "tea timer" option. Do an update and then click on the "search & destroy" button and then "check for problems".

Also, go here and click the "Kaspersky Online Scanner" button.

http://www.kaspersky.co.uk/virusscanner.

If none of the above has any effect you should email packard bell and ask them what's happening and why their stupid bios cd maker doesn't work.

Sorry.

PS: you can only use ms internet explorer for the online kaspersky scan.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2007
  18. myf

myf Member

No worries about the he, she situation.. Easy mistake! I really appreciate all the help you have offered me.. I took your advice and downloaded spybot s&d.. I also started the kaspersky but i didn't feel confident about it as it told me to turn off my anti-virus whilst scanning (which i did) then whilst it was scanning some mysterious pop-up blocker call mirar appeared on my ie browser so i stopped the scan. Then when i scanned my comp using the spybot the problem with the most entries was something by the name of mirar... What was that all about?? Before downloading spybot i currently used ad aware se personal as my spyware remover and i use norton anti-virus.. (i know not the best) None of the above worked though so i have emailed packard bell. I was told on the packard bell forum though that they very rarely answer, so i'll let you know what they say.. If i'm lucky enough to get a reply.. Thanks again.

19. LDee

LDee Regular member

20. myf

myf Member

Spybot said it had removed it.. Would it have not then?