1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Network Places

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Spider323, Oct 30, 2004.

1. Spider323

Spider323 Regular member

Hi, I just bought a Linksys G 56mbps router and a wireless card for my laptop. Well I installed everything and its all working fine except for one thing. On my desktop I click on my network places and it comes up with a folder with the name of the computer with files inside thatare shared on my network. However when I go on the laptop I go to My Network Places but it has no folder. I press on view workgroup computers and it has a message saying "MSHOME is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network recourse. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently availible". My network name is MSHOME. Why am I not able to connect to my desktop computer? And ohh yeah my shared folder is not shared either. And I also want to know if I have the same users on one computer and the other is there anyway that I can save a file on one computer under one name and have it come up on the other computer under the same name as I saved it on the other computer. I think there is a way because thats how we have it in our school system.
    Thanks For ANY hELP!

2. CJC

CJC Regular member

You have to make sure BOTH computers are on the same workgroup to start off with.

Then you need to make sure that you have File and Printer Sharing installed.

Try pinging the other computer, click start->run-> then type cmd ... Now type ping COMPNAME (being the name of the other computer) and see if you get a reply or not.

Another thing would be same place, type IPCONFIG /all and see what the IP of both computers are.

You could also try going into My Computer or a window with the Address Bar and type \\computername\shareddir

Just change the computername to the name of the computer you shared, then Shareddir is the Directory you shared on the other computer.

Did you share any directories first....

CJC