1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Phillips DVP-642 Can't play DVD+Rs!

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by cdbsi, Oct 15, 2004.

1. cdbsi

cdbsi Member

I just purchased a Phillips DVP-642 and whenever I burn a DVD+R, and I don't set the booktype to DVD-ROM before I burn, the movie is really skippy. It doesn't skip when I play it in my DVD-ROM though. But I have already burned about 20 backups and they're really skippy.

Do I just have a unique player that just can't play DVD+Rs? Should I return it for another one before my 30 day return guarantee ends?

What is weird is this player plays DVD-Rs perfectly! :)

Thanks guys!

Last edited: Oct 15, 2004
  2. dlocke

dlocke Regular member

That's odd. I thought phillips supported the dvd+r format more so than the dvd-r.

Dvd+r is less compatablie format that came onto the scene after dvd-r. The dvp642 should be able to play it though. It says it does on the box, on the site, in the manual, etc. Maybe your particular player is defective? How many have you tested?

3. cdbsi

cdbsi Member

This is the only DVP642 that I have owned. But I purchased it on amazon.com less than 30 days ago. So I could still return it. I just need to know if I have a defective model or not.

Well, if I burn an 8x DVD+R backup with these disks:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-132-367&depa=0

and I don't remember to set the booktype to DVD-ROM then the movie skips in a certain spot in a movie every time I play it. But when I put the disk into any of my DVD-ROM drives then it doesn't skip where it skips when using the DVP642.

I have some 4x TDK DVD+Rs and they work fine. Could it be because I burned them at 8x? Though when I set the booktype to DVD-ROM they work PERFECTLY.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2004
  4. BruceLH

BruceLH Member

I'm looking for a player that will play mp3 music from a DVD disk. No video included.
    The DVP 642 or APEX AD 1110 type.
    Can anyone suggest something?

5. Kingd

Kingd Guest

cdbsi: I believe its a media thing. 8x dvd media is relatively new and not supported by all manufacturers even when burned at slower speed. If it works with booktype on, then burn them that way or get 4x dvd media.

6. cdbsi

cdbsi Member

Thank you for your reply. I believe it probably is a media problem. When I burn the same media with the booktype set to DVD-ROM they work flawlessly.

Oh well, I am already getting a new player in the mail from amazon.com. :) I'll just sell that player to my friend.

The sad thing is is that I already backed up a lot of my DVDs using that old burning method. :(

7. GeoDude

GeoDude Guest

What brand+model is your DVD burner drive?

What brand/DVD Identifier info for your DVD media?

http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/

What software burner (Nero, Roxio, DVD Decrypter, etc.) are you using?

More reports here:

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers.php?DVDnameid=4117

I have not had problems with branded DVD+R media, but some unbranded DVD+R media have been unreliable.

I've used DVD Decrypter, Nero, and Roxio to burn my DVDs.

I got my DVP642 a few weeks ago, burned and tried a dozen DVDs so far... most of the DVD+R that I burned worked on my new DVP642

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2004
  8. cdbsi

cdbsi Member

Burner: Lite-On 812S

Burnded Disks: RiData Branded 8x DVD+Rs [RITEK-R03-02] http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-132-367&depa=0

Format: DVD+R [as opposed to the DVD-ROM booktype that works flawlessly with the same disks]

Burning App: DVD Decrypter 3.5.1.0

It's funny, the DVD player plays ALL of my DVD-Rs flawlessly and same with all of my DVD+Rs. Except for the 50 some-odd 8x RiData DVD+Rs burned in DVD+R. It really sucks, because I have so many burned on those disks and I don't want to have to back up my dvds again.

It's sad because I didn't know they were "faulty" until I purchased this DVD player expecting that they would work perfectly. Since Phillips claims that it plays all DVD+Rs.

[Thank you for the reply, btw.]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2004
  9. BruceLH

BruceLH Member

cdbsi
    I have learned that the DVD-R is compatible with all systems, and the DVD+R is not.
    For which reason some retailers are no longer stocking the DVD+R types.
    Buy the DVD-R and you're supposed to be right in any case.

10. kj1983

kj1983 Member

does it show/work with subtitle .srt along with DivX file ?

11. Mongo73

Mongo73 Member

cdbsi,

i have the same problem. I tried several different dvd's (all copies) and they skip pretty bad. I've tested them in a friends phillips dvp642 and they work fine. wierd. it all happens for me at the 1 hour 30 min mark. I was going to look for a debug code or something...

12. cdbsi

cdbsi Member

That's funny, that it works fine in a friends dvp, but not yours. Perhaps I should refund this refund to amazon.com yet again. :) I hope that I simply received two defective models.

Thanks guys.

13. Mongo73

Mongo73 Member

Yeh, it made me real happy. I had to convince the wife that we needed this dvd player... and now this. the wierd part is that my friend and i have the exact same model. I put in a movie here and it skips. go to his house with the same movie and it plays just fine. Bought movies (non copied) work fine as well. just my luck :)

14. Kingd

Kingd Guest

Mongo73: The only other thing i can think of is heat. Is your player getting hot when it skips? Is it in a tight space, next to other equipment that would add heat or near other heat source? I've read that if dvd media gets hot, it can skip. That's the only other thing i can think of besides the ol your player is broke, get a new one excuse. The other thing is to make sure you have the latest firmware (there is a link somewhere in this forum or you can probably google it). Also, there were 2 models of the DVP-642, 17 and 36 (or 32) so make sure you and your friend have the same model.

15. Mongo73

Mongo73 Member

Thanks Kingd. i will double check on the model number wit my friend today. i did think of the heat issue and had moved my player out by itself.. I also keep feeling it to see how hot it's getting. it doesn't seem hot at all.. i'll try the firmware upgrade and then if that doesn't work, return it. Appreciate the help!

16. cdbsi

cdbsi Member

Mine always skip in the same place no matter what time of day I play the dvd. The dvd player is never hot whenever i feel it. So it is definitely not related to heat.

I think i just got two faulty dvd players. :(