1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my Pioneer A05 is only reading CD's,Help please!

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by karatone, Jun 7, 2003.

1. karatone

karatone Regular member

I've got a new Cendyne/Pioneer 105/A05 Dvd-r and it is installed in an external USB 2.0 case,XP Professional Id's the drive ,but will not play anything but audio cd's ,my device manager looks normal,and when i click on the drive to play a DVD the system gives me notification that "the device is not ready" or "please insert a disc" it's behaving like an ordinary Cd-rom and I don't know why. This is my first USB 2.0 device so I'm new to this type of situation,the case instruction said that no driver are needed for XP,I'm not sure if there is a new driver for the A05 that XP doesn't already have in the systems file,but i haven't seen anyone on the forum with this problem.I'm thinking of plugging my cable to my MB USB port instead on my 2.0 adapter port to see if it will work. Any advice would be helpful, thanks

2. xgasman

xgasman Member

Did you install POWERDVD or WINDVD player? XP doesn't have built-in codec for playing dvd movies. Then you have to set the region for the drive before it will play a movie.

3. karatone

karatone Regular member

I only installed WinDvd,and I haven't set the region for the drive yet,i wasn't sure if I had to. I live in the States,so should i set it to USA?

4. karatone

karatone Regular member

I just set the region and still it's not reading DVD with WinDvd,I'm lost here,what now? my tower is full holding two Plextor 12/4/32 ,and one 32Plex cd-rom scsi drives.I need these for my karaoke CD+G stuff or I'd install the 105 direct to the secondary IDE channel,i wanted to be hip and try out this new USB 2.0 stuff,and I'm not even sure if thats the problem yet ,but at this point I don't know what is,any more ideas would be helpful, thanks

5. karatone

karatone Regular member

I'm using XP pro without the update service pack 1,my key is invalid so I can't update my OS,could this be my problem? I've seen that there is a patch to help USB 2.0 devices function ,but it doesn't explain why when I install the drive into my tower hooked by itself to the Sec. IDE slot, it functioned the same as when it was installed in my new external 2.0 usb case,WinDVD freezes up when I try to play a DVD,and the little green led on the ext. case blinks red then green then red over and over.when I play a CD in WinDVD it plays fine and the LED stays green,any advice would be helpful! thanks

6. karatone

karatone Regular member

I picked up a 16X Lite-on dvd-rom on my way home cause I figured once I solved my problem I would be wanting a reader to save my A05 for burning only,so once I got home I swapped the reader into my ext. 2.0 case and fired it up, and to my delight,it worked great.Needless to say, my recorder must be a defect,so tomorrow it's going back to exchange for another drive and I'm getting the Pioneer this time,not the Cendyne,I know they are identical but if i ever sell it,having the Pioneer Logo will help it's resell value,sorry for all my posts,but i was in a panic,six with drive that didn't work! whew!