1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My son's xbox will not allow him to play

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by jjmactoo, Oct 10, 2004.

1. jjmactoo

jjmactoo Guest

It displays a message that the disk is not recognizable. We have acquired and used a laser cleaning disk which it did cycle. But, it still says the disk may be dirty or is not an xbox game. Does anyone know what we can do to save the system? Is it possible it has some sort of virus? He does play live a lot. If it beyond repair what will happen to his live account? Does it transfer to the new system. I really hope it does not have to be replaced. I am a single mom. He is 12 I do not want to disappoint him. Can anybody out there help him? Any ideas?

2. surisis

surisis Member

Is this xbox modded or isnt it?

What kind of drive is it?

also, have you tried another disc of the sam game? some games dont boot with the wrong kind of scratch.

The last resort would be to simply replace the dvd drive with some other xbox drive that you buy online.

3. jjmactoo

jjmactoo Guest

It is the original drive which was purchased about 18 months ago. There have been no modifications at all. We wouldn't know how to modify one. He has tried all of his games. None work. Should he try cleaning his disks thn trying them again? How do you buy a drive for the box? Are they less expensive then buying a new system?

4. solo61

solo61 Member

regarding your problem ...go back to the store and ask them for advice..if this is a store that you or
    your son go to..ask them to help you either with an
    exchange or have them check to see if they have an
    item called the skip doctor...this repairs damaged disks...good luck from a follow parent

5. jjmactoo

jjmactoo Guest

I will ask for help at the local stores and see if one will cooperate. I bought it at Wal-Mart for him. They are great guys but not too knowledgeable. Thanks for the advice. I am so frantic about getting it back working for him it didn't occur to me the retail stores may have some help. Do you think Best Buy would be better to approach?

6. jjmactoo

jjmactoo Guest

I obtained an 800 number for xbox support through MSN live support. I was able to ship the xbox to a repair center in Kentucky for $ 90.00 they will repair it then return ship it to me. The return shipping is included in the price. The xbox will have a 1 year warranty on it when it returns. That was reasonable. It will return in 8 days. In time for Halo 2! Thanks for all concerned.

7. Billyfett

Billyfett Regular member

I think what happened is your DVD drive crapped out. Microsoft will replace the drive and send it back. If you goto to ebay you can buy drives from $40-70. The deal MS gave is pretty good. It includes the drive, labor, shipping and a warranty. When it comes back be sure to keep the laser in the DVD drive clean and get some cans of compressed air and spray out the xbox. Do it outside, there will be a ton of dust in it. Also, your live account is in the HDD but MS will also have record of it.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2004
  8. solo61

solo61 Member

i'm happy that all will be well...i know by experince
    that when a child is in a state of panic ,the parent is twice as bad...keep up the good work....being a single parent must be rough..good luck

9. Hrdrk20

Hrdrk20 Regular member

Kind of off topic : I tried one of thoes "disk doctor" cleaning kits and it didn't work for me and returned it.

10. jjmactoo

jjmactoo Guest

Disk doctor came up. My son warned me about disk doctor being unreliable. He is only 12 but he does read the Xbox and PS2 magazines as well as National Geographic. MSN was pretty cooperative about connecting us to an xbox repair service since they support the "live" account. It is hard being a single female parent to a male child. It gets even harder when I fail him financially like this really. Thanks for all the help and well wishes. Hope all goes well for the virtual world and your games.