1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my sony dvd drive is gone. cant find update. help!

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by crij65, Jan 20, 2007.

1. crij65

crij65 Member

hello,

i have (had) a sony dvd rw dw-u12a dvd driver. I downloaded an update from sony to help it read better and when i applied the update, it deleted the driver completely. when i open device manager, it is no longer listed there. i have looked in bios and did a recovery of c drive and nothing has worked. what options do i have? ive chatted with sony for hours with no luck. they say i have to send it in to be repair and there is no download available anywhere. please help!!!!!

2. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Ok, I reccomend you do this...

Turn off your PC.
    Take your dvd drive out.
    Turn pc back on, and go to hardware manager
    Uninstall all IDE controllers
    Reboot PC
    Turn off PC
    Put dvd drive back in
    Turn on pc
    See if it recognises drive

Try that ^^

Get back to us.

3. Ripper

Ripper Active member

My bad, double post.
    Hit a bookmark whilst it was replying by accident then hit reply again. Duh lol :)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2007
  4. crij65

crij65 Member

Ive got the drive out, can you tell me how to uninstall the ide controllers and what that means? thanks

5. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Go into Hardware manager and find the drop down menus, Ide contorollers. Then right click them and hit uninstall. Those are the things your drives plugs into on the motherboard.

Once you reboot, windows will reinstall them.

Make sure you follow it as writtin though.

6. crij65

crij65 Member

Ok, ive uninstalled all the IDE controllers. When i restarted, the hardware wizard came up trying to reinstall them, but it said it couldnt find the software and when there is an internet connection, the wizard will try again. The internet IS connected though the entire time. I followed the instructions word for word. Why wont the IDE controllers re-install? Please help!!!!

7. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Have you tried running the find new hardware wizard again?

8. crij65

crij65 Member

atleast 10 times now. it says "the hardware was not installed because the wizard cannot find the necessary software." So where is the software? What do i do know?

9. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Sounds like an actualy problem with your motherboard... You could try a fresh install of windows, but it might not work, if it is the mobo, and not windows.

Looks like you're going to have to contact Sony after all; Sorry.

10. crij65

crij65 Member

Well now im in a bigger mess. Nothing will update and now i have yellow exclamation marks next to all the ide and cd drive. Im in more of a mess than to begin with. Can you know atleast get me back to where i was?

11. Ripper

Ripper Active member

I realise that you're in more of a mess than you were, but that's merely becos it would have happened anyway.

The Yellow "!" marks mean that the IDE controllers are not functioning properly, and as they won't update or re-install, it is either a curopt bit of windows, or a fault in your mobo.

You could try searching for the IDE drives online if you know the make of your motherboard. There are programs to find that out if you don't already know. Apart from that, I can't remotely help fix your motherboard, or a corrupt part of windows drivers etc.

12. crij65

crij65 Member

Ok, i did a system recovery again and all the controllers are back. So now, im thinking of just buying a new dvd burner since i know how to install it now. is that a good move? I have a sony PCV-RZ32G Vaio. Could i install any brand or model of dvd burner or does it have to be compatible. If so, how do i find that out?? Thanks

13. Ripper

Ripper Active member