1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Windows XP install disk won't read. What to do?

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by pmaknelho, Mar 9, 2007.

1. pmaknelho

pmaknelho Regular member

I just built my first tower and tried to use my XP disc from my old PC to install on my new PC. It starts to install, but it can read some of the files. I get error 32768 and other times error 14. Is there way to trade this faulty disc for one that works? I also thought about putting my old PC together, download XP through usenet, burn to CD, and install on new CPU. How sketchy is it to use a downloaded OS? Any advice so I don't have to buy XP again?

Thanks

2. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

You don't need to download XP again..in fact I'd recommend against it.

You can however, make one legitimate backup (bootable) copy of your original XP disc. Use Google....it will show you the way.

3. pmaknelho

pmaknelho Regular member

If it can't read the files on the original, then how does it read them to make a backup?

4. bkf

bkf Guest

Download cd-speed and install. http://www.cdspeed2000.com/
    Insert the xp disk and run the programs disc quality test. Report back the quality score (lower right) and the max error numbers from the bottom of the program. That will tell you how beat your disc really is and if it can be copied. You can also run the scan disk test and see how many blocks are another color. Big strings of red are not good.

You can also try carefully cleaning the disk, If either test fails you got a damaged disk, a funkey reader or about 20 other maybe problems I can think of.

If all else fails make a copy of a friends disc. You just pay for the license keys. The discs are the same.

And take better care of your most important disc.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2007
  5. pmaknelho

pmaknelho Regular member

Is there a way to make a backup of XP that is already installed on my original computer? or do you have to have the original disc?

6. bkf

bkf Guest

There is no way with out the disk. Just the way it is.

I don't see those requested numbers yet.
    That test will tell me everything about the quality of you disc that I need to know. I have been doing this for years.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2007
  7. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

as in, a disc that came with a prebuilt machine? these are proprietary versions of windows that won't install on anything but the hardware they're shipped with.

you can, however, use the installation key that comes with it with an equivalent version of windows (as in, if the prebuilt had XP Pro, install XP Pro and use that key).

you need to borrow somebody's XP disc and use your own key. you'll be fine. once the machine is up and running, backup that XP disc and hold onto it with your key in a safe location.

8. pmaknelho

pmaknelho Regular member

is this want you need?

General Information
    Drive: PIONEER DVD-ROM DVD-117R
    Firmware: 1.06
    Disc: Data CD
    Selected speed: Maximum
    C1 errors
    Maximum: 0
    Average: 0.00
    Total: 0
    C2 errors
    Maximum: 2
    Average: 0.00
    Total: 2
    Jitter: n/a
    Scanning Statistics
    Elapsed time: 6:09
    Number of samples: 3954
    Average scanning interval: 1.00 sec
    Glitches removed: 0

Could there be another reason why my new computer won't read the disc? I'll try to back it up

9. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

you side-stepped my question. is this a full version of XP, or is it something from the manufacturer of your last pc. or, could it be an updgrade version? in the last case, you'd need to install another OS first, i believe.

10. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

eh eh eh....bkf, you should know better!! XP installation disks are comprised of four kinds: OEM, Retail, Upgrade and Corporate. The keys are not interchangeable. Now...I won't go into detail on how to create any type of XP disk...however, to answer the question:

You'd actually be surprised between the difference a copy engine is..and Windows setup. Good copy engines can read data thru scratches...Great copy programs use error correction to aid in the copying process.

There's been plenty of times I've had to create backups from scratched CDs or DVDs...that have already shown signs of wear and tear either thru broken up sound, or pixel corruption...and have had no issues creating a backup. Only real issue you will run into, is if the scratch reaches the coating layer..that is unrecoverable.

11. pmaknelho

pmaknelho Regular member

It says Microsoft Windows XP Professional with service pack 2

November 2004
    Systems
    Student Media

Not for retail or OEM distribution

I tried to make a backup using these directions: ValueAdd folder, then Msft, and then Ntbackup

but there is no Ntbackup file in the Msft folder.

So I tried to make a BOOT and ROOT folder, but can't get the image off the disc. I ready to shoot myself

Finally got it to work. thnx

Last edited: Mar 14, 2007