1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEED A DVD BURNER

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by raptor190, Mar 19, 2007.

1. raptor190

raptor190 Guest

Hi im looking for a dvd burner to backup xbox games and i need to Opinions on which one to get. Im looking at a price range of $30-50 dollars. I need one that can burn DVD+R DL, DVD-R DL,DVD+R,and DVD-R.Opinions would be greatly appriciated.Also good websites. I Have Windows XP home edition if that helps.If i am posting this in the wrong section and please notify me and HELP ME. Pretty PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Check out newegg.com if your in the US.

All newer drives will handle those formats. Look at LiteOn 18x or lower burners, Pioneer and NEC.

3. sorrow93

sorrow93 Regular member

Raptor190
    I have learned pioneer burners are very reputable from PC magazines to the IT guys who built my PC
    they are fairly priced and my model the DVR-111D/DBK/DSV does all that you stated except I'm in australia so the dollar value was $50-$60
    Lite-On are cheaper but not sure on the quality
    happy hunting!!
    google the official company websites and you can't go wrong

4. binkie7

I use both LiteOn (I have 3 of them) and Pioneer (older one dvr-108) and a crappy Matshita laptop burner.

Even the one older LiteOn & Pioneer still do great. For the newer LiteOn's I have the 16x speeds which are great too.

Some of the newer 18x & above burners seemto be giving some people problems. Just have to what and see how they turn out since they are still fairly new.

5. sorrow93

sorrow93 Regular member

Hey Binkie7 how about we give a little advice to Raptor190 while we're at it - keep coming back to AfterDawn for advice and try and not burn at maximum speed when you get the drive especially if burning games.
    drop it right down under 4x
    use good media too don't go the cheap discs esp. for games
    Binkie7 I have caught the helping bug from you ;)
    hope any of this is helpful Raptor190

6. sorrow93

sorrow93 Regular member

I should wait until someone has a burner before that advice.
    goodluck with the burner shopping!
    keep checking the AfterDawn forums

7. zebadee

zebadee Regular member

Hi ;-)
    The Pioneer 111 & 112 are excellent alrounders. Apart from scanning, which isn't essential anyway.
    Regarding burn speeds. With quality 16x rated media + latest generation DVDRW's. Burns @ 12x should be more than adequate. Certainly any lower than 8x will actually give less satifactory results. If drive & f/w are suited to media.
    In respect of media Verbatim (preferably made in Taiwan [MIT]) or Taiyo Yuden (TY). Should see you on the way.

BTW I also have a Lite-On LH-20A1P. Having changed this 3 times in as many days. Got one that writes @ 20x with good results. Although 16x gives probably the best speed/quality results (12x is more consistant here). But the drive refuses to give any exceptable type of scans.
    Just glad I have other Lite-On's & BenQ's to rely on in this respect.

8. raptor190

raptor190 Guest

A Afterdawn Adict Named steimy said this was a good drive is this true? if so tell me cause ill probably buy it

9. raptor190

raptor190 Guest

also thanks for all the help guys but could u answer the ? i poster before i posted this

10. binkie7

@raptor190
    Just gotta give us a bit to answer ;) We're scattered all over the world in different time zones.

Yes it's a good drive but hard to come by - no longer made. BenQ has been bought by LiteOn. The drive you linked is out of stock too.

Check out the Pioneers or LiteOn's. If you can get a 16x LiteOn - they're great drives.

@sorrow93
    lol - glad you caught the helping bug - need more good members like you!
    For DVD's I'd say 8x is minimum w/ good media. Games don't do but from what I've read 4x seems to do best with them. So you'll have to help me on the game stuff ;)

11. sorrow93

sorrow93 Regular member

@Raptor I'd be cautious a little of the LightScribe burners because the price is added on and I've been told the actual scribe takes too long but they are working on fixing this.
    I remembered you were budget conscious so I'd think twice before a Lightscribe (I think they are something like $40 extra)
    I don't know alot about burning games so I'd better remain quiet but from memory a program called Alcohol 120 percent might prove helpful.
    @Binkie7 I don't know much about games either apart from second-hand knowledge also I have a LiteOn cdr burner it serves me very well just wasn't sure if they are at the top of the range.
    one of the best burners I ever had was an LG - that burner coped with so many scratched cds people say they "wear in" that kept it up all the way

12. binkie7

@sorrow93
    Here in the states at least LightScribe is maybe a few dollars more.
    I have a burner w/ it just never used it.
    I like the inkjet printables discs better.

LiteOn's are great drives - at least the 16x speed and lower are. I've used them for a few years now. zebadee would have to fill us in on the 20x.
    Some members here say the 18x is good while others aren't as happy with it.
    My Pioneer though does read the scratched ones better than the LiteOn's. But burn wise I get better socres from the LiteOn's. None have playback problems though.
    Never tried LG yet.

13. sorrow93

sorrow93 Regular member

@Binkie7 I could pick your brains all day lol you are great to chat to :)
    here in Australia the LightScribes are massively overpriced I kinda wish I was living in the states sometimes esp. for PC prices.
    the last I knew lightscribe about $40-$60 extra
    that may have changed recently I don't know for sure.
    I will say one thing about LiteOn I contacted them about a burn issue and they replied within hours website and technical people excellent.
    gotta love that lol

14. sorrow93

sorrow93 Regular member

@binkie7
    I just noticed it says "suspended permanently" under Raptor and someone else. Hope we didn't break any rules?
    hope I'm not next I love AfterDawn

15. binkie7

I think your safe sorrow93 :)
    Wasn't us breaking them but raptor190 - did a quick check of some of their posts and what can I say...
    Who else was suspended?

You can pick my brain anytime - don't know everything though :) (damn ;)
    Just not tonite:) - your in the other part of the world where it's day time and nite time here - oops I mean early morning well 12:09 a.m so I'm off for the night - cya!

16. sorrow93

sorrow93 Regular member

@binkie7
    I guess that ends the dvd burner question
    just checked nobody else just Raptor
    afternoon here you get some sleep my friend
    cheers