1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need help getting avi files to play in a DVD

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by verijohn, Jul 31, 2002.

1. verijohn

verijohn Member

I am still new to most of this reformatting but I have been downloading movies for awhile. I have lots of avi files that I want to change to MPEG-1 files, I think, so that they can be played on CD-R/CD-RW compatiable DVD players. I have read of few of these message boards and found out that I needed to download TMPGEnc. I have downloaded that program but when I try to use it to make a VCD the DVD player says that it does not recognize that type of CD and to please insert another CD. What am I doing wrong? Are there any default or standard setting for me to put into the TMPgenc program to make sure that my avi files are encoded properly to play in the DVD player?

2. TXDVDfan

TXDVDfan Member

Are you certain your standalone DVD player will play VCD and/or SVCD? Even if your DVD player will play a CD-R/RW music disc, it does not mean it will necessarily play a CD-R/RW VCD/SVCD. Bummer, I know. To find out for sure, check your DVD player's manual for its list of playable formats. You can also check out

http://www.vcdhelp.com/dvdplayers.php

for a list of VCD/SVCD compatibile players.