1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEED HELP GOT 2 PC'S I NEED TO BE ABLE TO ACCESS 1 EXTERNAL HD

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by whites32, Apr 1, 2007.

1. whites32

whites32 Member

hi i have two pc's in my house and we are both connected to the same wireless router but we are hardwired to it , we have recently bought a external hardrive between us and have it hooked up to my pc but would like us to be able to both access it without having to unplug all the time does anyone know how i can go about this. any help much appreciated

thanks in advance ..........

2. onya

onya Guest

Being as you are connected via a wireless ethernet, I'd assume you already file share? To get the "other" pc to gain access to the external hdd, you must enable sharing on that drive. This in effect makes your pc the "server" and so control read and write traffic.

From the other pc, you need to map a "network drive". Control panel> Tools> map network drive. If this proves difficult, then Control panel> Network and internet connections, and use the wizard.

3. whites32

whites32 Member

thank a lot ...we are on a wireless router but we do not fileshare ill give it a go and get back to you thanks

4. onya

onya Guest

Before going ahead with mapping drives, you need to connect the pc's and establish that the connection is enabled and working. This can be done via the connection wizard, in control panel.

5. whites32

whites32 Member

like connect them via an ethernet cable?

6. onya

onya Guest

Correct. That's if a connection cannot be made using the existing router. I don't have a wireless internet router, so it's hard to say if that's possible.

7. whites32

whites32 Member

thanks a lot ONYA your a diamond