1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need help picking out a new cpu for dvd ripping

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by nascards, Oct 29, 2004.

1. nascards

nascards Member

well here we go I am finally building a pc for myself instead of someone else.But I need some advise on what to buy for a processor! I am doing strictly dvd movie burning and cd music copies.and internet surfing not much on games yet.I still have not picked out a mb yet either. the software I use is dvd shrink,dvd decrypter,Dvd x copy ,nero 6.0,and sonic record now version 6.I am also using a sony dru-530a havent picked out my 2nd dvd driver yet either.been surfing for parts for about a week now and like I said I am strictly dvd movie burning and cd music copies.and internet surfing. any help would be much appreciated.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

what make of cpu intel or amd & budget

3. nascards

nascards Member

not really sure yet was suggested to use a AMD Athlon 64 2800+, 512KB L2 Cache, 64-bit Processor - OEM. budget $250.00 or ther abouts for both processor and mb.

4. seamonkey

seamonkey Regular member

i got an athlon 64 3000+, MSI K8T Neo-FSR for about $190 or so total from www.newegg.com (free shipping! and fast!)...

so far loving it.. then added 1GB of PC3200 memory... VROOMM!!!!

oh yea, i'm a dvd movie backeruper hardcore.. ;-)

5. nascards

nascards Member

ok so then the processor is fine now to the mb looking at either a
    ABIT "KV8 Pro"
    or a
    ASUS "K8N"
    what do you think?
    I have used the abit mb in the past seems to be a good mb.never used asus before just read reviews.all good as well.

6. seamonkey

seamonkey Regular member

asus has been a good mobo for me.. built about 6 systems using the asus a7n-vm back in the day.. that was about 2 years ago and all of those systems are running fine still.. :)

so yea, i'd say that both are good mobos.. just pick based on what features you want and will use vs what you won't ever use...

oh yea! if the chipsets are different, i'd check into them to see which one outperforms the other.. i'm running a via based chipset board... nice hd performance...

peace
    seamonkey420
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]'knowledge is power, spread the power'
    -Athlon 64 3000+, MSI K8T NEO-FSR, 1GB DDR400, NEC ND-1300A DVD-+R/+RW, 100GB and 80GB WDSE HD [winxp|winx64]
    http://seamonkey420.tech-recipes.com
    -Sidekick/Hiptop, DVD, XBOX, PC.
    "All Content, No Fluff!"[/small]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2004
  7. nascards

nascards Member

great thanks for the advise[bold]more input would be greatly appreaciated![/bold] still doing the digging around want to make sure I make all the right choices.yea right sounds good anyway.