1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help!!! Projector advice!!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Troy1x, Dec 6, 2004.

1. Troy1x

Troy1x Guest

Ok here goes...

My main tv in my room right now is a 13 inch tv with vcr, 11 years old. Its time I upgrade finally lol...

My room is 11.5 feet long, and I am looking for a projector or maybe a hd tv. The projector Iam looking at is a Infocus X1a or X2. I will be projecting on a white wall. Will the quality be really nice considering what Iam upgrading from? I plan on playing some games, watch the occausional tv, but mostly watch movies. Iam looking for a projector at best buy and only best buy because of all the gift certs I have. Iam looking for nothing over $1,000.

Do you guys think this would be great, for my app??

or should I get a 32 inch Sony HD tv instead?

Thanks,
    Troy1x

2. ATIROCKS

ATIROCKS Regular member

Troy1x, you could purchase the projector, i would personally recommend one because of its endless capabilites and screen size, but you would have to make a $200-500 invest everytime the bulb dies. Yes there is a bulb, and yes you have replace and yes they cost alot. However, depending on how long the bulb lasts, how much you use it, and what type of mode it is on, will determine the hours remaining on the bulb. Nonetheless, the projector would be a really good investment, unless your alittle tight on budget with the bulb replacement, i would suggest the Sony 32 HD tv.

p.s: personally i think projectors are top notch, especially in livings rooms. ( the save lots of room and the picture quality is deafining)

p.p.s: i would also highly recommend a home theatre system, unless the projector already has a built in speaker, usually one. And right now, you could get a one for around $150, and thats preety good for tv watching and such.

3. LoneShark

LoneShark Member

Hi Troy1x,

I have both a projector and a widescreen hdtv. Both are nice in their own way. For a room that is 11.5', I think a projector would be rather small, since you can not really enjoy the screen size unless it is all the way against the far wall. Also you have consider the lumens on the projector since you are viewing off of a wall. 1000+ lumens is what I would recommend if you decide to go with a projector. On an average, projector bulbs usually last about 2000 hours. How many years, or months depends on how much you will use it. Another thing you will have to consider is audio. Televisions usually have a better sound system built in than the ones you get with projectors.

Lone

4. Troy1x

Troy1x Guest

Yea iam having a real hard time deciding what to do. I really want a projector, I don't really watch TV but I have over 500 dvds, I want something to really complement my hobbie. Now for distance Iam looking at about 11 feet and it will be mounted ona floor stand about 5-6 feet up pointed at the oppisite wall. My room is very dark all dark blue with blinds, the dark blue goes about 4ft up from the bottom and the rest is white. Iam not looking at the Infocus 4805. For a 32 inch tv to fit in my room with my computer desk wouldn't work and I would have to place the 32 inch tv somewhere else in my house. Iam kinda stuck on what to do. Lamps are a big issue cause for the price of the bulb it could definitely go somewhere else rather then HT.

-Troy1x

5. dp70

dp70 Member

I have an Infocus projector,yes it costs around 10 cents per hour to operate the unit...but that is some 10 cents. My experiences with Infocus and tech support is excellent. A crt is the least costly way to go.
    The big screen projector restores the cinema experience.

DP70

6. LoneShark

LoneShark Member

If you are not going to be watching much television, and have 500+ DVDs, then projector is not a bad way to go. Not to meantion the fact of cinema experience. I have a sony x1000 series, and let me tell you, every movie has a new meaning to it. If you can afford to maintain it (lamps), then projector is the way to go mate. Also, you can take the projector virtually anywhere you go, unlike a convention TV.

Lone

7. Troy1x

Troy1x Guest

I think iam going to get the projector, going to start saving early for a lamp, and have it waiting for when I need it replaced.

8. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Generally, a lamp will be a worry for you about 2 years down the line. The average user (if you can find such a person) changes theirs around every two years (thats home cinema users). There are added expenses to a projector, for instance the type of cabling - a DVD player that can output a component source since a phono cable and video output would look rubbish. Also, no speakers, so an amplifier (multi-channel) and set of speakers would be desireable to get sound.

9. bklyn1028

bklyn1028 Regular member

get the projector.....you can get 60 watt bulbs at Wal-mart.....think on sale for $1.79....lol

10. Mangosdad

Mangosdad Guest

The best way to go is a 19-27" tv for regular viewing and the projector for movies. That way you get the most life from your bulb.

11. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

On that point about wal-mart bulbs for next to nothing. It has been known to be done and has worked very well in the past. If you know what you are doing electrically, halogen bulbs can be used to fit into the porjector and give a similar performance. However, its when their life expectancy runs out that can cause problems as they have a habit of just exploding lol

12. Troy1x

Troy1x Guest

uh yea... no comment on the walmart bulbs lol.

This is the basic setup, My room is a rectangle, and up against the back wall is my bed. My bed has about 1.5 feet from the wall.. the bed is centered on the back wall. I have just enough room to buy a speaker stand thats adjustable and is a tri-pod that holds 40lbs, it extends about 5.5 feet up.. my back board on my bed is about 5 feet and the tripod will fit back behind the bed.
    So from there the projector will be projecting 11 feet to the oppisite white wall. I have about .5 feet of vertical adjustment and can then use the level feet on the projector to also adjust the picture.

My room is pretty small but, even if i get a 50inch screen I would be happy because anything is better then my 13inch 11 year old POS that has the contrast perm up so the sky in every movie is white. Projector is my best bet.

-Troy1x

13. Troy1x

Troy1x Guest

Oh btw THANKS FOR UR HELP!!!!!

14. LoneShark

LoneShark Member

Good move mate, you'll have loads of fun with the projector. Playing PS2 is a blast, not to mention watching XXX, lol.

Lone