1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help Quick!!!!! Audio/Video Sync

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by erik1213, Feb 16, 2004.

1. erik1213

erik1213 Regular member

I looked through the other threads and nothing i tried works. Here's my problem.....

I downloaded a DVD from the internet. I want to convert it to Divx. But when I do the audio/video sync is off. I realized that its not the converting that is causing the sync to go out, but the actual dvd it out of sync too. Well it actually gradually goes out of sync throughout the length of the movie.

Is there any way that i can get the whole movie into sync while its a DVD or after I have already converted it into Divx?

I have tried DivFix and AVIFix as said in other threads to fix gradual sync loss but it doesnt work.

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

THANK YOU!!!

2. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

No worries Erik
    First you get the latest VirtualDub by Avery Lee.
    Your movie's AVI sound-timing is 'fixed' meaning you cannot speed it up or slow it down, you can only advance or retard the beginning of it (relative to the video). This means you time or synch the audio to match up to moving lips at the beginning of the film!Then if you lose synch as the film progresses you can adjust video frame rate + or - FPS to speed up or slow down the video to match the audio (ie. 23.976 to 23.984 or whatever).

3. erik1213

erik1213 Regular member

wouldnt that effect the beginning of the movie also that is in sync....making it out of sync and then the end of the movie making it in sync.

If that makes any sense...lol

Also if the audio is ahead of the video then do i speed up or slow down the frame rate?

Thanx

4. erik1213

erik1213 Regular member

also after converted to a dvd, would't the audio/video sync problems come back because a dvd is played in all one frame rate?

5. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

If you are synched at the beginning of the film, you are half-way there. If the synch wanders as the film progresses, you must adjust the video frame rate. Yes, if the sound goes ahead you must increase the frame rate a little bit.
    A DVD or DivX AVI will happily play at whatever video frame rate you make it (if you need to alter the frame rate to keep in synch with the audio).
    The key is, that the audio is 'fixed' in speed, and one must adjust the video to match it.
    I get a lot of crappy (downloaded) rips and I quickly re-synch them all perfectly.
    If you use Gordian Knot to rip, then these problems are not happening and the film is a perfect 23.976 (NTSC). Hope this helps bro'!